new to brewing beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you did read the value correctly, then If what ever you used needs calibration, don't calibrate it if you have already pitched the yeast. At least then you'll be able to see how much the difference is from OG to FG and figure out what attenuation and ABV you achieved.

But yeah, 1.000 is the same density as water. So if you have any sugars in the solution at all, you should have a higher density. Does your recipe give you OG and FG? If not you can figure that out from the ingredients. Either plug them into some beer recipe software. Or list the recipe here and maybe someone will estimate it for you.

And just to be sure, when are you getting this "starting" gravity? I think most of us are taking that as OG (original gravity) which is after the boil and it's cooled. But before you pitch the yeast.

Last edited:
Since 1.000 is the gravity of pure water, I suspect the gravity measurement is incorrect.
My starting gravity is 1.040,
My starting gravity is 1.040
sorry everyone once I put my glasses on I was able to read the hydrometer my starting gravity is 1.040 now I'm new at this any help would be appreciated

My starting gravity is 1.040
You are doing better than me, I have no idea what my starting SG was. I just heated the Grains and hopped for the best.
Seemed to work though, I got plenty of action when I added the Yeast.

What kind of help do you need though?.
What was the SG you were aiming for?. If you feel that its low you can just add more sugars. Given that your original post was on the 23rd and its now the 30th, Im guessing this is all mute anyway?.

Back