TruTemp thermometer and aquarium caulking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zokfend

Reaction score
I've heard several people recommend aquarium caulk to seal leaks in MLT's (and I've heard others say caulk is not the solution).

Although my MLT appears to be leak-free, I would like to use aquarium caulk to seal my thermometer. I found another tutorial that proposes using silicone tubing with o-rings. While that tutorial looks pretty good, I already have some aquarium caulk, and I figure I could save myself a trip to the store.

Have any home brewers had issues using aquarium caulk to seal their thermometers instead of the silicone tubing and o-ring method?

The image below shows where I'd put it. The silicone cord can already pull out due to a crappy crimp in the probe. I'd just pull out the cord a couple of inches, apply a decent amount around the opening and cord, then reinsert it and make sure the gap is clogged, then wipe off any excess. Thoughts?

therm.jpg

I'd use the caulk for short term and then cover it with some silicone tubing for the long haul.

I have tried the silicone hose (pita to install) and silicone caulking (didn't hold up well)
Currently I am testing shrink wrap at the location you point out in the picture ( easy to install and seems to be holding up well so far )

Cheers;
BeerCanuck

Latest posts

Back