Starter Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33rL0v3r

Reaction score
So I just did my first starter. I used a 1000ml beaker, the only problem is that I filled it to the 1000ml mark. So there is not a lot of head room for the yeast to get started. I'm worried about the yeast being very active and getting into the airlock. I used 1 cup dry extract and 32oz of water for the boil. Is this going to be a problem? Should I siphon some of the liquid out? I pitched a whole pack of dry yeast and they seem to be starting to work already. I don't want to lose the effectiveness of the starter, but I also dont want problems. Please let me know my best course here.

When I make starters there isn't a whole lot of krausen if any at all. The only real indication of fermentation is some small bubbles. I've made 2.0L starters in a 2L erlenmeyer flask and sometimes when I swirl it, it foams up to the top but isn't really a big deal.

1. Cover it with sanitized foil instead of an airlock.
2. Be careful if you agitate it.... it'll cause CO2 to come out of solution and foam all over the place.
3. Drop in some fermcap if you have it.
4. I always like to leave plenty of head space because I tend to swirl my flask to keep the yeast in suspension longer.

You aren't supposed to use a starter for dry yeast. Only rehydrate.

+1
rehydrating is even optional. I just sprinkle on top and close the lid.

Only use a starter w/ liquid yeast. the liquid smack packs or liquid vials have about 100 billion cell count. Most mid gravity beers require closer to 200 billion.

the dry packs come with 200 billion cell count already, no need to start them.

use this calculator to determine: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Back