What yeast should i use for my saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm brewing a saison this weekend, and I'll be using a special release from Austin/White Labs called Classic Saison Yeast Blend, WLP560... I'm hoping it works out well! :mug:

Although I could go either way on many Jester King beers their beers use a saison strain from some French brewery and it has a really good blend of pepper and lemon that might be good if you can culture some out of the bottle.

3711 is easier to use. It is not so temp sensitive. 3724 has great flavor but requires good temp control to get it to finish. If you have a way to get it to the high 80's or even 90 the flavor is great.

I use the both a lot.

With WLP566 you get the great flavor of 3724 and the ease of use of 3711. I used 3724 and it took a long time to finish. Had to heat it up. I eventually got where it needed to be.

You could go with 3724 to start then add 3711 later on to finish it off.

I used both the white labs 565 and Wyeast 3724 I have it sitting at 90F right now. Over a week and still bubbling.

Although I could go either way on many Jester King beers their beers use a saison strain from some French brewery and it has a really good blend of pepper and lemon that might be good if you can culture some out of the bottle.

Jester King uses 3711, but they're developing wild yeasts to add. I talked to a couple of their brewers about 3711 rather extensively at the Mikeller thing I went to.

3711 is great. Not awesome on wheaty bases, but super friendly to a new brewer aka somebody with no temp control. A little twang, full mouthfeel (drink out of bottling bucket full), dries the hell out of everything, brightens hop flavs, & kicks off a little fruit.

566 is nice. Have had great results with it. Excited to see it year round. About to make a saison with it.

560 (from Austin Homebrew) rocked on a hoppy fruity pale ale I just made. Would definitely use again. Ran in the low 70s with no issues.

565/3724 is great too, but you usually need to hit it with some heat.

I've had some good beers with a 568/Cry Havoc blend too. They start cherryish, then trend clovey.

Back