Build a leftover recipe thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Ok, I am looking for inspiration for what to do with some leftovers (especially since I cannot leave the house) and thought maybe this would start a fun thread. You can either help out a poster or post a "help me" of your own. I dont know, its not my worst idea, and maybe I can get some stuff out of my fridge and into my belly.

So here's the problem. I slow cooked a whole loin of pork with the bone in (shoulder I think). Tacos! Lovely! I slow cooked in a little chicken broth for well over a day on low, strained and saved the shredded meat under Saran Wrap. Separated the fat from the pork broth and saved both. Heated up some meat in a dry skillet and added a little homemade hot sauce, sliced radish and rolled in tortillas. It was lovely. But I forgot that my wife and I are NOT a family of six.

Bugger.

So, instead of throwing anything away, here is what I have to work with. We will assume my stove and oven are still working.

No onions :-( :-(, though I do have onion flakes if need be.
A metric crap-ton of "pulled pork". Obliviousbrewer, whats that in Imperial ounces? I ask since you are European ;)
1 small ziplock bag pork stock, frozen
3 bulbs/heads of garlic
3 turnips
3 ribs celery
A whole bag of potatoes
a bunch of carrots, leaves still attached
4 ribs celery (greens attached)
1 frozen bag of brussels sprouts
2 dozen frozen jalapenos
1 small jar homemade hotsauce
1 small jar housin sauce
1 small bottle soy sauce
A relatively full pantry including most spice mixes, dried herbs, flour, sugar, salt, pepper, etc. Running low on rice but have both fresh and instant potatoes, army beans, lentils, etc.
Butter, olive oil, veggie oil, duck fat (about a tablespoon left), and pork fat in a 50 ring cigar shaped roll.

Anyone want to take a stab at what I should make for my lovely wife and I without braving the gailforce winds?

:tank:

If you post a recipe AND a request, I will DEFINITELY take a stab at yours.

Oh, you can use as many or as few ingredients as you want, but you HAVE to use the pulled pork.

Simple.
Make a meriqueux of chopped onion, celery, and carrot. Melt butter in a stock pot then add the meriquex. Saute til sweated bout 5 mins, then add pork stock and water to adjust saltyness( taste as u add more water). Then add a meat or just have a nice veg soup. It warms well during Sandys blasty cold winds.

So yeah use the pork near end of cooking, enough to heat it up if its already been cooked. Raw needs a good boil.

Ok just saw the no onion sign. Swap in a little minced garlic and add some quarter potatoes after u add water and pork stock.

Well, sorry to say, since you don't have any yeast, you can't really brew anything unless you want to do a wild fermentation. Oh... cooking, not brewing. I see.

Ummm... well... No cheese, eh? That makes it tough. No eggs? Hmmmm...

Some of the soy sauce, sugar and white wine will give you teriyaki sauce. Might go well with pulled pork. Use the pork stock to boil the rice in, add in some celery carrots and garlic, and you have some stir-fried rice.

Maybe slice a potato and use the duck or pork fat to make chips, or fries. Definitely not healthy, but we're talking survival food here, right? Season with a little sea salt, a dash of hot sauce, and a touch of brown sugar. Sort of barbecue fries/chips. Will go well with the pulled pork.

Back