Krausen??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imlvngded

Reaction score
My first brew seemed to take forever to get going. I pitched dry Nottingham yeast at 2pm Sunday. No airlock activity even still. 46 hours later I noticed this in my satellite bottle:
IMG_0966.jpg

Then 6 hours later I got this:
IMG_0969.jpg

Just curious if this is krauzen? I haven't seen it in person yet.
Thanks

Probably, the pictures are a little fuzzy though. Your airlock is just a vent for excess Co2 and other gas build up. All it can tell you is if there is excess gas, your hydrometer will tell you the results you want.

I just stashed some bottles in the room with the fermenter and I now have airlock activity. At least I know there is something going on. Thanks again, guys.

I just stashed some bottles in the room with the fermenter and I now have airlock activity. At least I know there is something going on. Thanks again, guys.

I'm just waiting on Revvy to come into this thread and preach about airlock sins. Regardless, congrats on the brew. If you ever doubt it, I'll be happy to give you an opinion on your beer but it will require no less than 4 bottles. :)

**UPDATE**

Once the airlock got going all looks good. Checked the temp 3x a day. Even called SWMBO and had her check the temp and add bottles to the cooler. Kept a steady 66*. Checked it tonite and the airlock had stopped. Looked at the satellite bottle and didn't notice anymore tiny bubbles rising and the krausen had fallen. I figured what the hell and took a Hydro reading on the satellite. OG= 1045 Satellite= 1008. I would say it's done. I'm gonna let it sit a few more days and bottle. The sample tasted pretty good. A little yeasty, but I guess once it's bottled and conditioned it should be really good.:mug:

**UPDATE**

Once the airlock got going all looks good. Checked the temp 3x a day. Even called SWMBO and had her check the temp and add bottles to the cooler. Kept a steady 66*. Checked it tonite and the airlock had stopped. Looked at the satellite bottle and didn't notice anymore tiny bubbles rising and the krausen had fallen. I figured what the hell and took a Hydro reading on the satellite. OG= 1045 Satellite= 1008. I would say it's done. I'm gonna let it sit a few more days and bottle. The sample tasted pretty good. A little yeasty, but I guess once it's bottled and conditioned it should be really good.:mug:

Make sure you take a hydro reading from the fermenter and not just the satellite bottle. Smaller volume = faster fermentation. Just 'cause your bottle is done doesn't mean the rest is

Back