Double Stouts/IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpsurfer

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I was just wondering if some of you more experienced brewers could explain what determines whether or not a beer is a regular IPA or stout vs a "double" IPA or stout, and what the inherant differences are in the brewing process. How does a "double" differ from an "imperial?!" I looked on the styles at Beeradvocate and they were fairly vague.

Thanks!

'Double' and 'Imperial' are interchangable terms that both mean that a beer is higher in alcohol, IBU's or both than a beer of the same style that is not 'Double' or 'Imperial'.

'Double' and 'Imperial' are interchangable terms that both mean that a beer is higher in alcohol, IBU's or both than a beer of the same style that is not 'Double' or 'Imperial'.

Right. And the only reason they call it a double IPA is because it looks like this: IIPA. Double I, if you will. The habit of putting the word "Imperial" in front of any stronger beer has pretty much spread everywhere from its humble roots in front of the Imperial Russian Stout.

The best place to start for info on styles is the BJCP website. Those are the official guidlines for beer styles and are full of information about why and how a style has a certain characteristic.

:tank:

edit: from the bjcp guide for Imperial IPA

History:
A recent American innovation reflecting the trend of American craft brewers “pushing the envelope” to satisfy the need of hop aficionados for increasingly intense products. The adjective “Imperial” is arbitrary and simply implies a stronger version of an IPA; “double,” “extra,” “extreme,” or any other variety of adjectives would be equally valid.

Back