Potassium Sorbate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AABassMaster

Reaction score
Making a hard cider, I didn't read the cider's ingredients and of course it had potassium sorbate in it. I have already pitched the yeast. Is there any way to neutralize the potassium sorbate so I don't have to dump this?

Thanks in advance.

I doubt it. Potassium sorbate works to inhibit yeast reproduction, that's why it's so effective as a preservative.

I have heard a couple of stories of people sucessfully overcoming the sorbate, though. I don't know if the stories are true, but it might be worth a try. It involves a big huge yeast starter, fermenting well already in a gallon of cider, before being gradually acclimated to the sorbate. So, you'd have a gallon of already fermenting cider, and add a bit of the sorbated must to it gradually, so that there wasn't enough sorbate at one time to stop the yeast.

I can't speak from personal experience as to the success of that though. In my personal experience, sorbate = no fermentation.

Latest posts

Back