Iphone - maybe not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just out of curiousity, why do you need changeable memory cards when you have either 8 or 16gigs worth of space?

And MMS is so over-rated, IMHO. Send an e-mail. Big whoop.

Listen, I'm no apple fanboy, the iphone has a few drawbacks that just won't let it compete with other smartphones out there. The inability of copy/paste and reliable office apps is holding this phone back from greatness. The only other feature I'd really like to see that is taking forever is turn-by-turn nav, but this is peanuts compared to the awesomeness of the rest of the features. The apps on this thing are getting downright incredible. They are really showing off the ability of the iphone's features (i.e. GPS, accelerometer, touch screen) where it blows me away.

This phone is pretty much the amazing.

The Dude is correct.

I got my wife and I one a while back. I liked it but was not overly impressed. As time went on and new apps came out and google and other websites improved there mobile versions... I have grow to love it.

My wife uses it more than I do. Using google docs is a nice. There is no edit yet but viewing is great.

the wife will call and say can you stop by the store?
We keep an online gdoc that has:
Costco
HEB (groceries)
LOWES/HD

in it... and if I am there or she is when we look at the doc on our phone and shop away.

Anyway... I think it is worth it.

Another example. We are going to a christmas party tonight. I was asked to bring some christmas music. I am bringing my iphone and stream a christmas channel from Pandora radio (they have a sweet app for the iphone) ... works like a charm.

t

I'm kind of anti iPphone and I don't really know why. I'm the IT guy at my office and three people have now switched from HTC to iPhone. I get a lot less questions on how to do things so its made my life a lot easier. But they don't do anything with their phones except email, phone, calendar and the occasional picture.

That being said I wouldn't have one for myself. I'll take the HTC.

I think I want one. The price is still a bit ridiculous, especially if you don't want a stupid contract.

iphoneep1.jpg

yeah. pretty cool. only drawback is the keyboard is only available in landscape mode.

i would probably trade my iphone for a g1 that will work on att.

i have a couple of problems with the iphone.
no cut and paste. wtf, wtf.
No arrow keys on the keyboard. Only the stupid little loupe. My big fingers aren't so great at the letter-by-letter scroll. Give me arrows.
Removable memory/battery. I have 100gigs of music. Rather than plug and synch to change, why can't I just swap cards?
I have 3 email accounts set up on it. let me just have a page with all three in boxes. Why do I have to scroll 4 pages between accounts?

it does rock for pandora, web browsing.

Just out of curiousity, why do you need changeable memory cards when you have either 8 or 16gigs worth of space?

expandability. i have an 8gig mp3 player and i have an 8 gig microsd card. i have 8 gig of video on the mp3 player and then i have 8 gig of music on the card. i can use the card in either my phone which is a pda or i can use it in my mp3 player card player as it has an sd slot or my pc at home or work. trust me when i say that 8 gig 16 gig or 32gig dont last long when you start loading applications.

expandability. i have an 8gig mp3 player and i have an 8 gig microsd card. i have 8 gig of video on the mp3 player and then i have 8 gig of music on the card. i can use the card in either my phone which is a pda or i can use it in my mp3 player card player as it has an sd slot or my pc at home or work. trust me when i say that 8 gig 16 gig or 32gig dont last long when you start loading applications.

Yeah. I could fill up 16 gigs in no time. Gotta be able to swap out cards.

I bought my wife the 32gb iPod Touch, and we both love it. I say 'we" because now, when she is not using it, I steal it from her to play all the cool freakin' games. Also: Pandora on iPod is awesome.

My Sprint contract just expired, and I really want to get an iPhone. They also just turned on 3G service here about 3 weeks ago, so there's one more roadblock gone! I may keep waiting, though, in hopes that the rumor about post-Christmas price drop to $99 w/ 2 year contract is true.

Downside? I really didn't want to switch to AT&T, and I really don't want to pay more for one phone line than I currently pay for two seperate ones.

For others' use, it might not have all the features people want.... but in my case, I am stepping up from an old clamshell cell phone, basic w/ camera, nothing fancy. I need a new phone regardless, and I also need a new iPod regardless as my old one is dying. I hate carrying multiple devices, so it just seems right I go for the iPhone if I can swing it.

I have already played with all the new offerings from Sprint (Rumor, Rant, Instinct (my instinct is that it was designed by a kindergartener), CrackBerry, Palm-phone, HTC Touch, HTC Mogul) and am thoroughly disappointed. I hate hate HATE Windows Mobile, especially how slow it runs on Sprint hardware, so the HTCs and the non-Palm Treo's are out of the question. If I HAD to get a phone today, the only one out that I really like is the new LG Lotus.

I have already played with all the new offerings from Sprint (Rumor, Rant, Instinct (my instinct is that it was designed by a kindergartener), CrackBerry, Palm-phone, HTC Touch, HTC Mogul) and am thoroughly disappointed. I hate hate HATE Windows Mobile...

I hear what you're saying about Windows Mobile...but did you try the new HTC Touch Pro? I just replaced my Mogul with a Touch pro and it's really much nicer. The TouchFlo interface is nice, and the VGA display is beautiful. Yeah, it's still Windows Mobile beneath the surface.

I'm a bit anti-Apple personally. Not rabidly so, but just enough. They make nice stuff but it always seems to be heavily locked into the "experience" that Steve Jobs wants you to have, as opposed to what you may want to make it.

Latest posts

Back