Dry Hopping & Sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mi6op

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've brewed probably close to 100 different batches of beer in the past few years and until a couple weeks ago I have never brewed an IPA or messed with dry hopping. Well the IPA turned out excellent - maybe a little less bitter than I was hoping but I think I know how to fix it next time. Anyway, today I moved the beer to secondary and did my first dry hop and I did it a couple different ways. My ideal way was moving 5 of my 10 gallons to a keg which had a tab in it which I tied a nylon mesh bag too and threw my first of two dry hop additions to, then closed the lid purged of O2 w/ CO2 and threw it back in the fermentation fridge for 12 days. When there is 5 days left I will open the corny lid and bag and throw in the 2nd addition. Then after those 5 days i will remove the bag all together and carbonate the keg.

I unfortunately did not not have another bag set up to do this way so I put the beer in a 5 gallon carboy and threw the hops in loose. I actually soaked a mesh bag and put most of it in that carboy and poured my hops in before I put the beer in the carboy. however I thankfully had a moment of clarity and realized that when the hop bag expands from soaking up beer I'll never get it back out and cut the bag w/ a knife and retrieved my hops before throwing them in loose and filling w/ beer.

Questions: 1) How do I keep hop material from transfering to a keg from the carboy method. 2) I'm sure there are better ways to do a dry hopping than my clumsy methods. Could you please share them with me?

PS, I'm aware hops are aseptic but I'm just hoping to not overlook something and throw a well brewed beer down the drain because of a secondary fermentation oversight.

thanks for reading this rambling post!

Dry hopping cold extracts less hop flavor than warm I've read before.

You could put rubber band a nylon mesh bag over the end of your siphon. Be sure to leave some slack to prevent clogging. Alternatively you could cold crash and the hop pellets would sink to the bottom.

Back