Grandpa's woodshed apple smoked porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewster451

Reaction score
I posted a thread recently about my first bad beer, but I wanted to post something about a truly fantastic beer I brewed. I would encourage people to try something like it. I smoked three pounds of base malt with apple wood chips and mashed it with some aromatic and some black patent, a little chocolate malt and a bunch of DME. We also mashed crisp maris otter which we toasted in the oven for about ten minutes.
Then we baked two apples and threw those in the mash. The hop schedule was as appropriately porterlike as we could get on our own.
After the primary fermentation we threw about two pounds of dried applewood chips into the secondary.
This beer is fantastic. The apple comes through just slightly, and the smoke flavor of the apple wood chips compliments it very nicely. People I know who are from KC tell me that it embodies the spirit of drinking and bbq'ing at the same time. I'm very proud of it. It also clocks in at 7.5% ABV and has quite a kick to it. I've given it enough time now that it is silky smooth and is very drinkable. Smoking your own grains is, in my opinion, the key to brewing great smoked porters. Try it. I swear.

Back