Bentonite in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_gamer

Reaction score
I have around for my wine making but I never see it mentioned in beer making, any ideas why?

The only concern I might have is that too much yeast gets dropped out and I can't bottle carb my beer.

Any thoughts?

Bentonite produces a copious amount of sediment that must be filtered out of beer. Isinglass and gelatin are better choices as they flocculate into a jelly-like mass at the bottom of the fermenter. Having said that, I never use clarifying agents because I fear they may strip out too many flavor-producing components. Haven't done any emprical taste testing on that front, but a little haze does not bother me anyway.

This was mostly for curiosity, I am making a pumpkin ale that is super hazy and so i wanted to possibly clear a bit.

I have used chitosan and kierosol (AKA Claro KC) to clarify extremely cloudy fruit wines, but I understand the treatment pulls some flavor out of beer. You could try drinking your ale out of a tankard!

Back