Vanilla Porter Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirdGen

Reaction score
Hi, I tried a wonderful beer last night that I really want to try and emulate. It was a Vanilla Porter by Vertigo brewing here in Oregon. I don't necessarily need a clone recipe, but I'd really like some help putting together an Extract recipe for a Vanilla Porter! I'm pretty sure I'll just need a regular porter recipe and then add some vanilla extract when I rack to secondary, but how much?

Thank you, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

The best answer for you is that there is no right answer. Its personal preference.

One of my favorite beers is an ICE cold Breckenridge Vanilla Porter. God I still remember the first night I had that beer. I got rocked off of it, couldn't get enough.

However, I did try to clone it once. I used a standard porter recipe and then put in the secondary 1.5 halved vanilla beans soaked in vodka for 24 hours, then racked on top of them. The vanilla flavor was not all that much, if doing it again I'd do 3 beans. But that would be to suit my taste :)

Check out my recipes tab - I made a Vanilla Coffee Porter that was a HUGE crowd pleaser. It's not quite as roasty or bitter as a porter should be, but man it's delicious. If you don't do the coffee, you'll want to increase the dark malts.

Back