Fermenting with t-58 and 3787 for Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkpsych

Reaction score
I set out to brew a Belgian last Wednesday, and tossed in two rehydrated sachets of T-58 along with one smack pack of Wyeast 3787 at the suggestion of my local home brew shop. The first few days of fermentation required a blow off tube despite ~1 gallon of headspace, and left 6 inches of junk on my bucket walls. I am very loosely trying to emulate Westvleteren (largest deviation is smoked 2 row), and was wondering if anyone has used t-58 for a Belgian. I keep hearing about the pepper quality of the yeast, but can't find much more. Also, does anyone know what strain T-58 comes from, or how it might interact with 3787? Any recipe comments also appreciated.

Ingredients:
39% 6# 0 Northwestern Extra Light LME info 34 (points) 8 (SRM)
26% 4 0 Belgian Pils info 37 2
19% 3 0 Belgian Candi Syrup A info 36 40
13% 2 0 Belgian Candy Sugar Light info 36 0
2% 0 4 Smoked American Two-row info 34 5
2% 0 4 Belgian Special B info 30 220

Mash 60 minutes at 149, boil 75 minutes. I essentially remashed instead of sparging, turned it into a secondary boil, and added to primary boil. No "topping off" with plain water. 5 Gallon yield.

boil 60 mins 1.0 Target info pellet 8.4 (AA)
boil 15 mins 1.0 Hallertauer info leaf 4.8
boil 15 mins 1.0 Styrian Goldings info leaf 5.4

OG actual 1.100, FG predicted ~1.021, ABV ~10.9, SRM 21, IBU 24.4

Thanks for the input

I made and just drank a few bottles of a beer I made with the T58, pseudo Witbeer style. The yeast gives a fruity, belgian flavor, but not over the top in any one area. I do not have any pepper from it. This was my first time using it, maybe not the last, it made a good beer.

According to some sources, including Brew Like a Monk, t-58 comes from Chimay. I use it in all my Belgians and like it very much. I get peppery notes when I can keep the fermentation temps a bit cooler. When I let them go warmer, I get spicier, fruitier (sometimes banana, though not much) flavors.

According to some sources, including Brew Like a Monk, t-58 comes from Chimay. I use it in all my Belgians and like it very much. I get peppery notes when I can keep the fermentation temps a bit cooler. When I let them go warmer, I get spicier, fruitier (sometimes banana, though not much) flavors.

Sounds like a dry approximation of 1214, which would make my beer a trappist mash up. I'm fermenting as warm as I can in order to try to keep attenuation up. Two follow up questions. First, could I expect anything resembling Bavarian fruitiness and clove? Second, with an OG of 1.100 and low attentuation of t-58 (two sachets), can I expect this beer to drop below 1.020 taking the smack pack of 3787 into account?

Latest posts

Back