Dry Hopping Secondary to Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JughedJones

Reaction score
Hey now,

This is my first go at dry hopping, after reading through HBT for suggestions on method, I decided to just toss the pellets in the secondary and let it sit for a couple weeks.

Well, those 2 weeks are almost up and I'm wondering what method is best to transfer to the keg without getting too much sediment.

Thanks a lot, you guys have been awesome!

I'm pretty proficient with racking, and don't do anything special except rack the beer. I like to start the siphon in the middle, below any floaters and above the trub, and lower it as the beer level lowers. When the trub and the floaters meet, I'm done siphoning. Sometimes it takes practice, but it's pretty easy to do.

I just use 3" SS tea ball filled with pellets. I tie a small diameter piece of monofilament off the chain and hang it down into the keg. I tie a loop in the mono, hang it over the CO2 inlet port, and then seal up the keg. After a week, I pull it out and then place it into my keezer. Each ball is good for 1 ounce pellets. I'm doing an IPA now and I have three of them daisy chained together. This is simple, no mess, and it works for me.

Try 1 gallon nylon paint bag from Lowes or Home Depot and put it over the racking cane. Make sure not to pull it tight and leave the bag hanging from the bottom. Slip a nylon zip tie over the racking cane and tighten the bag down. Of course it goes without saying to sanitize everything.

So......I tried to listen to Yooper, and apparently I didn't do it so well.

I let the dry hopping go for more than two weeks where I felt I was pretty good and I poured a glass out of the keg and holy crap... floaters everywhere in the pint.

Any ideas? I would just suck it up and drink it as is but at the end of the pint I'm left with an 1/8th of an inch or so of hop sediment and it's downright gross.

The beer is good, taste and smell wise, except for the first couple sips and the last couple sips. Should I purge the gas and rack it back into my carboy and siphon it back into the keg..maybe that would get rid of some?

Should I pour a couple pints and toss em and maybe that would get all (or most) of the sediment out?

This is a really good beer and I don't want to see it go to waste.

So......I tried to listen to Yooper, and apparently I didn't do it so well.

I let the dry hopping go for more than two weeks where I felt I was pretty good and I poured a glass out of the keg and holy crap... floaters everywhere in the pint.

Any ideas? I would just suck it up and drink it as is but at the end of the pint I'm left with an 1/8th of an inch or so of hop sediment and it's downright gross.

The beer is good, taste and smell wise, except for the first couple sips and the last couple sips. Should I purge the gas and rack it back into my carboy and siphon it back into the keg..maybe that would get rid of some?

Should I pour a couple pints and toss em and maybe that would get all (or most) of the sediment out?

This is a really good beer and I don't want to see it go to waste.

That is why I use nylon gallon paint bags and dental floss. Anyway, that won't help you now. If you don't move it and let it settle it will get better but you will get some floaters.

If it were me, I'd get another keg, grab 6-8 feet of tubing and connect a liquid ball lock to one end and a nylon bag to the other. Stick the tube with bag into the bottom of the destination keg and set the psi to 5 and push the beer to the new keg. When its full, pull the tubing (and nylon bag) and gas it up. It should be fine.

Back