More room temp, or more cool temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damian13

Reaction score
So, I have a hefe that is about to hit three weeks in the bottle on Thursday. This Friday however I am going to visit some friends and wanted to take a sixer to have them taste it. That would only give me about 24 hours to cool condition if I wait till the three weeks are complete on Thursday. I tasted the beer a week ago and it had decent carbonation but was a tiny bit sweet. My question is this:

Is it more beneficial to let it sit at room temperature until Thursday and just refrigerate over night, giving it an additional 2 days to condition at room temp? Or is it more beneficial to forgo those extra 2 days at room temp in favor of cool conditioning a bit longer?

An extra two days conditioning at room temp will not be noticeable IMO. I'd use those two extra days to throw them in the fridge and get the CO2 dissolved to proper carbonation.

Hefe's are generally fully conditioned and peak about FOUR weeks after brew day, so they have conditioned plenty. That sweetness you taste is probably the banana phenols that are contributed by the yeast during fermentation, and not malt sweetness, so it is supposed to be there, and desireable in a Hefe.

Anyway, point being, the Hefe was likely ready to drink a week ago. Throw it in the fridge!!

Back