Major pissed off.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What a ****ing idiot.

I Normaly make beer and do full boils and use an immersion chiller to get to pitch temp in around 25 minutes. I have done a few of my own wines with concentrate and added water.

I've also done wine from fruit and done 3 litres of must added sugar and topped up to 5 litres.
Today I picked a load of wild apples and elderbery to make apple and elderberry wine.
I boiled the elderberry in 1.5 litres of water and strained. I then juiceded the apples and got 3.5 litres of juice. So 5.5L in total.
The resultant juice was at 1060 so I added enough sugar to take it to 1090. So that when I boiled down to 4.5L (1 UK gallon) I'd get a 1.100 SG.
All good. I added some raisins, Juice of 1 Lemon and 1 tea bag. I then boiled to 1 gallon.

This stuff tastes wonderful. It was the last of the elderberries and apples available.

Why am I pissed?

Well I've read about all you guys who don't have a chiller using an Ice bath.
So I though I'll do the same because I have no chiller suitable for 1 gallon.
Can you guess what's coming.

I guess you guys chill it in the pot/kettle.

I racked to the carboy then tried to chill it.
Bang.....Thermal shock to the carboy.

GRRR..
I'm an idiot!!!!!!!:(:(:(
Last time I put effort into making a good wine the stuff was full of maggots.:(

Yeah, I cracked up my growler for starters doing something similar. For some reason I thought if I warmed it up first then added hot water I'd be fine. Luckily it just broke the side out and didn't send glass shards flying everywhere.

Ouch...that's rough! I suppose it goes to show that even the most experienced among us aren't immune to the occasional mistake.

The good news is that it appears you weren't injured during this mishap. Unless you're typing with your one remaining hand...

It was only a 1 gallon carboy and it was in the sink.

I'll tell you how I lost a 5 gallon one when I feel better.
(It was a better bottle) I still manage to destroy it.

orfy said:
Bang.....Thermal shock to the carboy.

Sorry for the lost of the beverage, but at least this post doesn't include "The shards sliced my hands open and I just got back from the ER."

orfy said:
The raised voice was at my self, not at you.....

Don't treat yourself so harshly....There is no shortage (in this world) of those who love to do that to others.

It just goes to show that you are like the rest of us. You/we....don't have all timers, just some timers.:)

Back