Brewpal numbers are different???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugrad02

Reaction score
I brewed a RyePa last year(March 2012) and decided to brew it once again this past weekend. I keep my recipes saved in Brewpal but also keep a handwritten journal containing strike/sparge temps, etc. that Brewpal spits out for my recipes.

I opened my saved recipe in preparation for my brew day, changed my volumes to my preferred 1.25 qts. water/pound of grain as well as my target strike temp, made sure Batch/Fly was selected and got different numbers than last year. I even tried starting over by entering everything once again but I had no luck getting the same numbers. I have updated each new version of Brewpal and wonder if something is new that I have missed? A change of some sort?

I opted to use my old numbers that I luckily had written down and hit all my numbers just right. Does anyone have a suggestion? I recall an option to change the temp of the grain, would this have caused the differences in temp of strike water? I can't find that change anymore.

I have brewed a few beers since last year and have been noticing that with each beer I was having to cool my mash down before closing the lid on my tun, something I had never had to do in the past. Any input or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Old numbers per Brewpal: "Strike with 3.4 gallons at 167, sparge with 4.6 gallons at 170."

New numbers, same recipe, per Brewpal: " Strike with 3.44 gallons at 176, sparge with 4.02 gallons at 170."

Back