Yeast taste profile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

half_whit

Reaction score
Hey dudeskis
I'm really intrigued by yeast an he different strains impart different flavors. I'd like to start playing with my recipes and was wondering if anyone's done a thread already on how yeasts react and what flavors they give a beer.

I'm fermenting a wheat with Bavarian weizen yeast and its throwing wicked sulfur smells. Is that something that just happens And then clears or do I need to correct something?

It's not the yeast... Well not exclusively the yeast. My fermenter is throwing off the smell. I'm 2 days into fermenting. I know with kolsch yeast they say it produces sulfur but it'll condition out as the beer matures. Kinda hoping that's the case here :-/

From my experience I have had sulphur smells during fermentation using Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan strain. Both times I used a half wheat grain bill and had vigorous fermentations.

The good news is the sulphur aged out of the final beer and everything was grand. I would suggest to leave on the primary for at least 2 weeks, even better 3 to let the yeast clean up those sulphur notes. I have not brewed any lagers yet but fellow brewers say this is common in larger fermentations.

Sulphur does not mean infection. It is typical for some strains. If it is coming out of your airlock then it is being released from fermentation. Give it time and it will clear up.

Thanks guys! This particular brew has been a comedy of errors, but it keeps going in spite of all my attempts to botch it up.

It was definitely fermenting somethin' fierce. I'm gonna do what you said and forget about it for a while once it gets bottled too

Latest posts

Back