Cold crashing WLP007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbsteve

Reaction score
Has anyone ever cold crashed an ale with WLP007 yeast? If so, how long did you crash and did you experience any carbonation issues after bottling? I put my blonde ale in the fridge yesterday at 35deg. Planned to leave it there a day or two to clear and then bottle. Looks like it's developed some chill haze so maybe I'll give it a few extra days. I'm in no huge hurry to bottle. My concern is that with WLP007 being such a flocculent yeast in the first place, will cold crashing for up to a week (or longer if needed) leave enough yeast to sufficiently carbonate? The reason I decided to cold crash this batch is in hopes that some of the proteins will drop out leaving a clearer beer in the bottles. This is a blonde so I'd like it to be as clear as possible. I have added gelatin to beers before, but I'm trying to avoid that on this batch because I almost feel like it's a form of "cheating", if you will. Any input would be appreciated.

I love WLP007 but I keg so not really sure how it will effect bottling. It sure does drop nice and clear quickly though. Also, there is nothing wrong with using gelatin! If that is cheating then so is using Irish moss or whirlfloc :mug:

my 0.02 cents : I cold crash for 2 + weeks at 37F with gelatin, and my bottled beer carbonates just fine in about 7 days.

Yeah, i'm a cheater who uses irish moss, whirlfloc, gelatin and secondaries too. Flame me now !

Cheers !

Yeah I should have known the cheating comment wouldn't go over well. :eek: I've done it a bunch of times myself. Never really thought of the boil fining agents like whirlfoc and Irish moss in the same regard but that is a good point brew2. You've both just about convinced me to go ahead and add gelatin just for the sake of gettin' er done. Black - have you ever crashed for 2+ weeks with this particular yeast? It flocs like concrete, hence my concern.

I didn't use wlp007 a lot of times but when I used it I had no problems with carbonation. In fact, I use just about every kind of yeast I can find at LHBS and never had any problem. Even if it flocculates like concrete, there is still enough yeast in suspension to carb your beer.

By all means, try the gelatin. It worked wonders for me since I started using it. My friends ask me what kind of filter I use after pouring a pint from my tap.. crystal clear. Just make sure you don't siphon those "flakes" from the bottom of the fermenter and you're good. You won't believe how clear your beer turns out.

Keep on brewing !

Cheers !

Latest posts

Back