Kegging, force carbing question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonPritchard

Reaction score
I recently brewed, kegged and dry hopped an IPA style beer. I don't remember the recipe to a T, but it was something like this:

11lb 2 row
1lb Munich malt
1lb crystal 40
.5lb flaked barely

2oz chinook
2oz s. ace
Both at end of boil

2 oz chinook dry hop for 5 days.

I know there might be an unaccounted for pound of grain as I tried to use up what I had on hand. The beer tastes good, it just doesn't look that "pretty" off the pour. I'm force carbing under about 20psi until I reach my desired carbonation level. I'm new to kegging so any advice on how to better keg my brews would be appreciated. Thanks.

How long are the lines? I would recommend 10' as it pours better. I also recommend when you force carb you do the set it and forget it method. Set it to 12 psi for 10-14 days and your beer will be perfectly carbed. The set it method does take some patience though.

What Aspenextreme said is correct. But if you lack patience like I do once the brew is in the keg, I fill the keg at room temp. Purge the oxygen out. Set the PSI to 30 for the first 24 and then 50 for the next 24. Then I chill the keg, vent the excess pressure out set the psi to serving pressure and usually its ready to go but does get better over the next few days. Even when Im rushing I never shake the keg. This process is best if it has been at least 21 days from brew day. Cheers!

This is not a carbonation post at all (so ignore as needed), but did you have any bittering hops in your recipe? IPAs tend to have a lot of bitterness to counteract the gravity and finishing hop contributions.

Yea. I had an ounce of hops thrown in at the beginning of the boil. I can't remember what I used off the top of my head. The beer has come around though after following some advice given here.

Back