Coco Coir Twine Only Good For One Season?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
I used the coco coir hop twine last season and left it up over the winter. Now that it's growing season again, it's snapped in four separate places all with in 5 days. Now, I'm not 100% sure if it's weather related or if it was some sort of animal bitting through it...or if it was some sort of human intervention.....

Anyone have experience with how long this stuff's supposed to last?

Don't leave it out in the winter. I have no issue going on 3rd season with same strings bringing them in for the winter.

Yeah. I had the same result.

If I have to take it down and string it back up I'd rather just use something cheap enough i am not worried about saving. 3/8" sisal for the win.

Hops will grow up just about anything.

We used 1/4" Sisal rope for 3 seasons and have changed to Nylon now as tired of replacing and fixing ropes.

I have had some bines grow up the 1/8" steel cables holding up the top wires without issue.

The reason why professionals use Coir is that it is easy to cut whole bines down and it composts easily too.

Old bines easily break off the ropes too when planning next season.

Back