Bugs/Eggs on on plant. (Pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordura

Reaction score
Just noticed these bugs... should i be worried?

2010-06-16+12.22.33-702932.jpg

Well, it probably wont help your hops, and at worst could hurt them. You might want to try looking into some form of insecticidal spray to put on. I've been noticing some chompings on my leafs and lots of creepy crawlies crawling around the dirty so I sprayed some Garden Safe Insecticidal Soap on mine. It's pretty cheap and easily available.

Most plants have plenty of foliage to support photosynthesis along with a few foliage eating insects. Please don't just jump to a determination to eradicate. Watch them. See if they're doing any serious damage. If not, why not just let them be? If you do need to control them, please take the time to identify them and use an appropriate method. Bear in mind that broad spectrum insecticides kill many beneficial insects along with "pests".

I do have a small mite problem on a lot of the lower leaves so I made a homemade insect soup mix. I'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens. Picking up some ladybugs too before I start spraying all kinds of crap on the plant.

Look like stink bugs. They do a lot of damage on my zucchini and pumpkins but take a while to kill the plant. I think they such juice from leaves.

I concur with young stink bugs. The stink bug larvae, by the way, eat ladybird larvae. Not a good thing. You could kill them all with a thumb right now and it wouldn't be a problem.

Stink bugs huh? This spring has been insane here with those... stinky bugs... the leaf was removed and crushed. I cant even imagine giving home to those nasty bugs.

I just did some more research and came across this photo of Stink Bug Eggs.
I hop this isn't a sign of things to come!

stink-bug-nymphs.jpg

Yeah they are stink bugs. Look at the 3rd photo down on this web page, they look exactly like on your photo:
http://www.hgic.umd.edu/content/brownstinkbug.cfm
They say one of the host plants is Paulownia (empress tree). I got a 2-year old paulownia in my backyard, I think I'm going to get rid of it to protect my hops, not to mention my house. I don't like that tree anyways.

PS. I just found another photo with stink bugs that looks exactly like yours. look at the bottom of 2nd page, these are stink bugs coming out of eggs, just like in your photo: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/pdf/FS_3824_08.pdf

Latest posts

Back