Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graham's English Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #31
jdwest32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just racked to the secondary after 2 weeks in the primary. i deviated some from your recipe by adding honey in the primary. OG 1.090 and i added 64oz of Pear juice to the secondary. gravity before adding the pear juice was 0.999 and is is bubbling right now. I tasted a sample and it tastes real bad and it is very cloudy. it also smells real bad. is that normal?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #32
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwest32 View Post
I just racked to the secondary after 2 weeks in the primary. i deviated some from your recipe by adding honey in the primary. OG 1.090 and i added 64oz of Pear juice to the secondary. gravity before adding the pear juice was 0.999 and is is bubbling right now. I tasted a sample and it tastes real bad and it is very cloudy. it also smells real bad. is that normal?
Taste: Cider at two weeks old will probably taste kind of funky, especially because you upped the gravity so much with fermentables. The higher the OG, the longer your cider will take to taste good. 1.090 is moving out of the cider realm and heading to the apple wine realm.

Cloudy: The cider (or in this case arguably apple wine) is 2 weeks old. If you notice in the OP I say to primary for one month, then secondary until clear, usually about 2 to 3 Months not weeks, so I fully expect what you have to be very cloudy at 2 weeks.

Smell: Did you add yeast nutrient? seems like you are experiencing the fabled "rhino farts" which, if you do a search on it here at HBT probably comes up with a bunch of results, this could have been fixed with a yeast nutrient addition.

Overall: I can not vouch for the quality of anything besides the original recipe, besides switching the brand of juice and yeast. I have tried sugars in it, but found that not only does it take much more time to age out (at an OG of 1.090 Before adding pear juice, I probably wouldn't touch this until 10 months or so after pitching), but it also dries out the cider even more, which at 1.002, where this cider usually ends, is fine and dry enough for me, I don't like it any drier. I know it is tempting to treat cider like beer, but these things take time, be patient with it, "the yeasts know what they are doing," as I have said before. RDWHAHB.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 05-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #33
jdwest32
Recipes 

i did use yeast nutrient. i used a 1/4 teaspoon. was that enough? if not is it too late to add more? i racked it because i did not think it would hurt and i can see what is going on in the secondary. maybe i should have stuck to the recipe but the inner chemist in me made me do it.
thx
j

Last edited by jdwest32; 05-19-2009 at 06:15 AM.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:24 AM   #34
Freezeblade
Recipes 

I thought I'd post up a picture of a quite old specimen I poured up today. This one was pitched on 9/10/08, the yeast was s-04 and the juice is treetop. I wanted to show how clear this stuff can get with some time. and oh man, is it tasty.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 06-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #35
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've got a carboy full of EW Apfelwein going right now, but I have six gallons of Tree Top that I just picked up at Costco, and I think your recipe is going to make it into the rotation tomorrow. Sounds delightful!

Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Old 06-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #36
jdwest32
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
I thought I'd post up a picture of a quite old specimen I poured up today. This one was pitched on 9/10/08, the yeast was s-04 and the juice is treetop. I wanted to show how clear this stuff can get with some time. and oh man, is it tasty.

wow that looks good. you pitched on 9-8-2008 when did you rack and bottle?

Old 06-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #37
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwest32 View Post
wow that looks good. you pitched on 9-8-2008 when did you rack and bottle?
I racked on 10/02/08, then bottled on 01/10/09

Old 06-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #38
stevenryals
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

how was it when you bottled? did you taste? was it clear-ish? smell?

Primary: Oktoberfest
Secondary: NBC JulyFly, Pliney the Elder
Keg: Bottled: Grahms English Cider, Kolsch, Newcastle, Stone IPA, Grand Cru Barolo Red, Grand Cru Chianti, Vida Vino Pinot Grigio, Oktoberfest Lager, Grand Cru Peisporter
YTD Gallons Brewed: 155

Old 06-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #39
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenryals View Post
how was it when you bottled? did you taste? was it clear-ish? smell?
When I bottled the cider was very clear (although not quite crystal clear, as the picture is), the smell was nice and apply, but the taste was green. I don't know how else to describe it, but there is this flavor that is associated with dry cider that is too young, it's not apply at all, or even fruity even, just kinda...I guess sort of bitter. Needless to say, that's why you let it sit for a while, this pint after aging was perfectly divine, apply, fruity, a little tart and with a nice mouthfeel. A perfect example of why dryer ciders need aging.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #40
stevenryals
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

cool, moving mine to a third-ary tonight.. and kegging in about a week or so.. just trying to help with clarity.. pitched back in early march.. can't wait to have a taste in a month or so..

Primary: Oktoberfest
Secondary: NBC JulyFly, Pliney the Elder
Keg: Bottled: Grahms English Cider, Kolsch, Newcastle, Stone IPA, Grand Cru Barolo Red, Grand Cru Chianti, Vida Vino Pinot Grigio, Oktoberfest Lager, Grand Cru Peisporter
YTD Gallons Brewed: 155

Quick Reply