Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Fruit Cocktail Wine - Extremely cheap and cheerful party booze

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #11
Vance71975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Oh my god. Did I just see a can of V8 on that book? I wonder what V8 mixed with sugar would taste like after fermenting.

May taste like ass to drink straight but i bet it would make an AWESOME marinade for a beef roast soaked in and injected with before grilling!

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Kahler: Room temp.

I've started this one again today, and I'm using Gervin GV4 high tolerance wine yeast so I can get this up to about 16%. Just pulped the ingredients, added sugar, added chemicals and yeast, and sat it in the demi-john

Gradual sugar addition using Glucose this time, so we're starting off at 1.070, and requiring around 16oz of additional glucose, leaving us with a total OG (sort of) of 1.120.

For the record, this isn't hooch - it's a high alcohol mixer, and besides, it's far too awful to drink neat. I love this on ice with lemonade, it's basically a wine spritzer, but with a decent kick.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
Genacide
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What would be the effect of using a ale yeast with a low tolerance? Would this make it more tolerable to drink neat, or would it be overwhelmingly sweet?

Old 06-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I would use Montrachet wine yeast and less sugar. It's all down to your OG, so if you got this to 1.070 or so and let it ferment out, it'd be strong enough and dry enough to drink like a wine. You'd need about 2 tins of fruit cocktail and 1kg glucose to get 1.070 OG, and then you'd definitely have to age it some.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #15
Genacide
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm about 10 days in and haven't shaken up the jug for a few days. It appears that the bottom 1/4 of the jug is pulp and lees, if this normal?

Old 07-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #16
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yeah, mine is the same. I just ran it through a muslin bag and back into the demi-john (resterilized) when it's finished fermenting, so you barely lose anything. There's a lot of must in this one!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #17
ashfatboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genacide
I'm about 10 days in and haven't shaken up the jug for a few days. It appears that the bottom 1/4 of the jug is pulp and lees, if this normal?
I don't think there is a need to shake it,the crap at the bottom will settle to a small percentage of the overall mix if left alone,be patient

Old 08-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
andyn11
Recipes 

Sounds great lol might try this one wen iam looking for summin diff lol

Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #19
Hooligan125IN
Recipes 

I made this almost exactly the same way while in Iraq on my first deployment. My mom make wine and sent me a plastic container about 3 gallon size with a pack of red star yeast. The instructions I got were: place 2 pounds of sugar and a bunch of fruit cocktail( she didn't specify how much) and add water and yeast to fill 3/4 of the jug. She called it friendship wine. Well I put about two styrofoam trays filled with fruit cocktail from the dinning hall. Added 2 pounds of sugar I bought at the PX and then added the yeast and water. After two weeks we tried it and it was sweet but not sweet enough. We added a bunch of pineapple and let it sit another week. The end result was great. We would just scoop out a bowl of fruit and eat it. The reason she called it friendship wine was all you had to do was scoop some out and give it to a friend as a base and add more sugar, fruit and water and let the new pot ferment. It was a little like prison hooch but it was good and got us a little buzz.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:40 AM   #20
RedBearded
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan125IN
I made this almost exactly the same way while in Iraq on my first deployment. My mom make wine and sent me a plastic container about 3 gallon size with a pack of red star yeast. The instructions I got were: place 2 pounds of sugar and a bunch of fruit cocktail( she didn't specify how much) and add water and yeast to fill 3/4 of the jug. She called it friendship wine. Well I put about two styrofoam trays filled with fruit cocktail from the dinning hall. Added 2 pounds of sugar I bought at the PX and then added the yeast and water. After two weeks we tried it and it was sweet but not sweet enough. We added a bunch of pineapple and let it sit another week. The end result was great. We would just scoop out a bowl of fruit and eat it. The reason she called it friendship wine was all you had to do was scoop some out and give it to a friend as a base and add more sugar, fruit and water and let the new pot ferment. It was a little like prison hooch but it was good and got us a little buzz.
Love this! I was lucky enough to work with all civilians both of my deployments to Afghaniland (2009 and 2011), and some how they could get cases of whatever we wanted... What "Top" doesn't know won't hurt him.

Quick Reply