Racking Cane Sight Glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Would a 1/2" racking cane work with Pol's rubber stopper sight gauge? Racking canes already have the bend.

Probably for the MLT but definitely not for the boil kettle or HLT -- I've tried it with my trukey fryer/keggle setup and before the water in the HLT was to temp the racking cane had failed, allowing hot water to spray everywhere.

Probably for the MLT but definitely not for the boil kettle or HLT -- I've tried it with my trukey fryer/keggle setup and before the water in the HLT was to temp the racking cane had failed, allowing hot water to spray everywhere.

I thought racking canes were polycarbonate tubing. They won't handle 180*F heat?

I've had a racking can in my bk an HLT for over a year now with no problems, A simple piece of aluminum foil as a heat shield works fine.

OK, let me expand. The HLT is a rubbermaid cooler. It will be electrically heated, internally. External heat on the racking cane will not be an issue.

I have a racking cane in a compression fitting in my electric HLT. It's worked fine for over a year now.

They will melt in boiling wort, but they can take the heat of 170* water.

Back