Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Need Help adding Recirculation Port to Sanke Keg
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
splashmike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: White Plains, NY
Posts: 20
Default Need Help adding Recirculation Port to Sanke Keg

I am looking to move from a Coleman Extreme as a Mash Tun to a Sabco Keg that I purchased for a boil kettle but no longer use. I'd like to do a direct fire mash and recirculate, but I'm a bit at a loss as to how to add a port to the top of the Keg for the liquid recirculation. I have a step drill bit so making the hole should not be a problem, but I'm not sure what parts/fittings to use to make the port, and what parts I should get for the tubing to connect. I have a 1/2 inch port ball valve already installed for the lower outlet and can add either a 3/8 or 1/2 hose barb there. Not sure whehther the larger tubing is beneficial for recirculation. If disconnects are helpful I'd like to know that too.

Many thanks for guidance.

__________________
splashmike is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
carlisle_bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Carlisle, PA
Posts: 1,205
Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Default

Hi

Unless you like a problem, the recirculation rate should be pretty low. Not quite soda straw capacity, but pretty low. The easy way to do it is to just toss a chunk of tube in the top of the keg.

If you want to go fancy, Brewer's Hardware sells some very nice weld less fittings. Drill a hole in the keg wall, screw in the fitting. Attach a tube inside, attach a tube outside and something to throttle the flow.

There are *lots* of other options.

Bob

__________________
carlisle_bob is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
jusware
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: helena, Montana
Posts: 140
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob View Post
Hi

Unless you like a problem, the recirculation rate should be pretty low. Not quite soda straw capacity, but pretty low.
There are *lots* of other options.

Bob
Sorry, I have to disagree with this. I have a Little Giant pump with a 4500 Watt rims tube. I keep it wide open with a measured 10 gpm flow rate. I get fantastic efficiency and I can do fast step mashes at approx 2 degrees a minute. If I slowed down the flow my tube starts vaporizing and burns the wort.

Experimentation is needed to fully understand what you system can do. Every system is different. Buy a sack of grain and find a simple recipe (single hopped pale ale?) that you can do over and over again to test your system. Just my 2 cents.
__________________
jusware is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 05:07 AM   #4
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
helibrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 3,351
Liked 226 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmike
I am looking to move from a Coleman Extreme as a Mash Tun to a Sabco Keg that I purchased for a boil kettle but no longer use. I'd like to do a direct fire mash and recirculate, but I'm a bit at a loss as to how to add a port to the top of the Keg for the liquid recirculation. I have a step drill bit so making the hole should not be a problem, but I'm not sure what parts/fittings to use to make the port, and what parts I should get for the tubing to connect. I have a 1/2 inch port ball valve already installed for the lower outlet and can add either a 3/8 or 1/2 hose barb there. Not sure whehther the larger tubing is beneficial for recirculation. If disconnects are helpful I'd like to know that too.

Many thanks for guidance.
I would use a weldless coupling, 1/2" FPT inside, and a barb or QD on the outside. Use LocLine on the inside as your recirc return, it's easy to adjust and clean and you can use any variety of nozzle that suits you.

You can do the same in your BK and use the LokLine as your whirlpool nozzle.
__________________
Something is always fermenting....
"It's Bahl Hornin'"

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com
helibrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
carlisle_bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Carlisle, PA
Posts: 1,205
Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusware View Post
Sorry, I have to disagree with this. I have a Little Giant pump with a 4500 Watt rims tube. I keep it wide open with a measured 10 gpm flow rate. I get fantastic efficiency and I can do fast step mashes at approx 2 degrees a minute. If I slowed down the flow my tube starts vaporizing and burns the wort.

Experimentation is needed to fully understand what you system can do. Every system is different. Buy a sack of grain and find a simple recipe (single hopped pale ale?) that you can do over and over again to test your system. Just my 2 cents.
Hi

I believe we are talking about a direct fired mash and the recirculation is sparge water. Could be wrong though.

Bob
__________________
carlisle_bob is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cooler MLT recirculation / vorlauf port through lid - need advice mmonacel DIY Projects 11 04-10-2014 08:46 PM
Recirculation/sparging port in side of cooler Bizoune DIY Projects 6 10-26-2011 12:49 PM
Rubbermaid MLT recirculation port? High_Noonan DIY Projects 3 08-17-2011 11:15 PM
Bulkhead fitting recirculation port brewnami DIY Projects 6 05-23-2011 01:34 PM
Using Sanke valve as port for drain valve on MLT GC89 DIY Projects 10 07-17-2009 02:49 PM