The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Stirplate... Cheap and Easy Build...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 03:58 AM   #991
aubiecat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

What you are seeing is the pocket that is milled into the bottom of the poly base but it doesn't go all the way through. It's milled out to allow for the part that holds the magnets.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #992
DoctorMemory
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryVance3 View Post
It is overkill but fun to do
You can never have too much overkill!

Old 02-05-2012, 02:09 AM   #993
Siczek
Recipes 

Ok, got my washer glued and tested out agitation using the other hard drive magnet and success! The thermaltake fan is excellent. Tomorrow during my Maibock brew I'll be mounting into my box and should be going into final assembly. Will post pics when done.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:38 AM   #994
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

nice build plans on making one this weekend

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 02-05-2012, 03:19 AM   #995
aubiecat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siczek View Post
Ok, got my washer glued and tested out agitation using the other hard drive magnet and success! The thermaltake fan is excellent. Tomorrow during my Maibock brew I'll be mounting into my box and should be going into final assembly. Will post pics when done.
I used a 120mm Thermaltake for mine. It came out of an older computer that was running for years. I expect it to run on my stirplate for many more.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:58 AM   #996
twd000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've got my electrical circuit up and running. Trial-and-erroring with the magnets. I've got some neodymium disc magnets, and the 50-mm stir bar with center ring from Northern Brewer. I have tried taping on one or two disc magnets on the center hub of the fan, with no luck. It's almost like the fan is spinning too fast, even with the rheostat at the lowest setting. What RPM do you estimate you're running at? Like slow enough to count the blades?

If I hold a magnet on its edge and spin it under the flask, it rotates the stir bar. But it doesn't "see" the field when attached to the spinning fan hub.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #997
coypoo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twd000
I've got my electrical circuit up and running. Trial-and-erroring with the magnets. I've got some neodymium disc magnets, and the 50-mm stir bar with center ring from Northern Brewer. I have tried taping on one or two disc magnets on the center hub of the fan, with no luck. It's almost like the fan is spinning too fast, even with the rheostat at the lowest setting. What RPM do you estimate you're running at? Like slow enough to count the blades?

If I hold a magnet on its edge and spin it under the flask, it rotates the stir bar. But it doesn't "see" the field when attached to the spinning fan hub.
How much power do you have coming into the fan? Have you tried it with any resistance?

I thought my 9V wall wart was too much juice, but when I switched to a 5V it wouldn't spin well in a real starter. The 9V works perfectly now (but I also added an additional magnet)

Rowdy Reptile Brewing
http://rowdyreptilebrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 02-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #998
twd000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coypoo View Post
How much power do you have coming into the fan? Have you tried it with any resistance?

I thought my 9V wall wart was too much juice, but when I switched to a 5V it wouldn't spin well in a real starter. The 9V works perfectly now (but I also added an additional magnet)
I have a 12V wall-wart. What do you mean by "No resistance"? No electrical resistance from the dimmer, or no water resistance with the stir bar?

How do you have your magnets arranged?

Old 02-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #999
mightynintendo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by twd000 View Post

Have you tried moving the fan/magnet closer to the top of the box? It sounds more like you just don't have enough magnetic pull on your stir bar. Also, are you sure your magnet is well centered?

Old 02-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #1000
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twd000 View Post

"one or two disc magnets to the center"

Are they spaced as far apart as your stir bar is long?

Are they oriented so the opposite poles are up (one is "S" up and the other "N" up)?

Have you tried testing the voltage out of the rheostat to make sure you have it hooked up right and are actually reducing the voltage?

Pictures?

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Quick Reply