Love controller temp probe wiring help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schristian619

Reaction score
I have a brutus type system with love temperature controllers. One of the probes got burned and stopped working, so I ordered a new one from brewers hardware. The problem is that the new one has 3 wires (red, black, white), whereas the previous one, and the one on the other controller only has a red and black. There doesn't seem to be a place to plug the white wire in. Can anybody help with this? Do I just need to order a new probe? I don't see any two wire probes on the BH website.
Any help is appreciated...big brew day next weekend (a 1.015 RIS for my buddies wedding)

Odd they sent a 3-wire thermistor. I'm certainly no expert, but I would assume the white wire is the external exciter, which you aren't using. It's meant to compensate for long runs. If it were me, I would first try just not using the white wire at all. If I didn't get good results I would then try putting the red and white wire together and test again.

I might also wait for a better answer. It would be nice to know the actual model number of the thermistor, but I know brewershardware doesn't provide that.

I tried hooking up without using the white wire, but there was no signal from the controller. I can try using the white and red together, unless someone thinks thats a terrible idea...

Back