Freezer Lid Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radarstation

Reaction score
Over the last few months I've been acquiring the necessary parts to convert a chest-style freezer into a keezer. I finally purchased a 'very' large 23 cu.ft kenmore deep freezer off of craigslist. I was planning on building a simple 2x6 collar to attach to the lid based on what I have seen done in various projects. However, when I opened the freezer, what I found was that the lid is attached with two iron hooks that appear to connect across the entire length of the lid. Thinking I would compromise, I removed the bolts from the back of the freezer hoping to attach the collar to the body instead of the lid, and somehow attach the bottom of the hooks to the collar, but it would not detach. what I need to decide is this; considering I could probably fit a 20 Ib Co2 tank w/ regulator inside the freezer without a collar, would it be better to run the beerline through the top of the lid into some kind of box like the more complex projects with tile etc., or figure some way to remove the lid and possibly attach new hinges connecting the collar to the body?

IMG_3593.jpg

IMG_3594.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg

IMG_3596.jpg

I'm just gonna throw this out there. Those little white plugs on the lid likely cover the bolt heads which will make short work of this problem.

"I'm just gonna throw this out there. Those little white plugs on the lid likely cover the bolt heads which will make short work of this problem."

-If I remove the bolts/screws behind those caps, I'm just wondering how to use the hooks as normal hinges. It is hard to see how they attach inside the lid. I guess I could try to remove the bold heads and reattach the hooks to the inside of the collar. Just hoping there is not some duel action lifting mechanism and it just pivots at the end.

If you don't need the extra height inside the freezer I'd just build a coffin box or tower to put on top. A coffin box or tower doesn't need to be much more complex than building a collar. Just my $0.02. If you decide to go with a collar, I'd guess that you can remove the hooks from the freezer body and re-install them in your collar with a little work, but it might be easier to just ditch the hooks and use some heavy duty hinges instead.

If you don't need the extra height inside the freezer I'd just build a coffin box or tower to put on top. A coffin box or tower doesn't need to be much more complex than building a collar.

But he will also have to have a way to roll is away from wall to open it to add kegs. This will require a dolly to be built most likely.

You might want to simply consider buying a set or two of the hinges on the kenmore and similar freezers. They are 4 screws to install and reliable, simple to align properly. You can order them from sears I am sure, as a spare part. searspartsdirect.com

Latest posts

Back