Fermentation Chamber Build (Picture Heavy)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchard

Reaction score
First post on HBT after lurking for awhile now. This site has helped me out a lot so far, and I thought i'd share this to help out anyone who is looking into making a fermentation chamber.

Well, after dealing with some wonky summer fermentation temp issues, I decided to go ahead with my fermentation chamber plan. It's been keeping at 68F very well, with minimal movement. I plan on using it to lager very soon as well.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions! I'll be happy to answer. If you have a circular saw, a driver, and minimal tools, you can do this.

Cooling Unit:
Taller Mini-Fridge. I forget the model. Check the pictures for details.

Heating Unit:
39ft 100w ZooMed Reptile Heating Cable

Temp Controller:
STC1000 based Black Box from BlackBoxBrew
http://www.blackboxbrew.com/

Fan:
AC Infinity AI-120SCX 120mm Speed Control Fan Kit

Lighting:
IKEA DIODER LED 4-piece light strip set

pUywLHV.jpg

The final product. Ended up buying a Black Box from BlackBoxBrew. I was going to just buy my own STC1000, but I liked what they did with the BB. I dialed in the info on there, and have it holding at around 68 F pretty steadily. As you'll see in the pictures, the cooling source is a taller mini fridge. The heat is from a 100w 39ft reptile heating cable from ZooMed. There is also a computer style fan in there, which I will be adding into the cooling circuit at some point.

qGri2U5.jpg

sHXHmnl.jpg

5pBVdU1.jpg

Taped the seam with aluminum duct tape.

7xJtlop.jpg

L0zdpmf.jpg

I made a paint can / light heat source, but it feels like a fire waiting to happen. Probably just paranoid, but I scrapped that plan.

IlGI3lr.jpg

Frame is up...

N7gt87j.jpg

...and the fridge fits like a glove.

UbT4DGB.jpg

rwKAhra.jpg

Ymc5Rvc.jpg

I ended up putting foam over the base, which really made the foam in the base itself overkill. Oh well. Lessons learned.

p0j2NYg.jpg

The back wall goes up. I threw some scrap foam in there to see how it would fit.

cbrPy9i.jpg

My brew buddy decided to come visit... after I was done making cuts for the night. She hates the circular saw more than she hates the vacuum.

8X4O8V3.jpg

Ceiling installed. Door frame installed.

t7JfV6M.jpg

Taped the edge of the fridge up. Also used some of the spray foam insulation to fill some gaps.

YlFmTgR.jpg

View from the end, prior to installing the foam on that side.

eutFvgA.jpg

All of the walls are up! Perfect seal all around.

FaBAb5J.jpg

I decided last minute to cut some foam out of the top to make a window. That was I can see the fermentors without having to open the door and mess with the temp inside. Plexiglass, and totally sealed up around the edges.

uhtkEiT.jpg

It'll fit up to three carboys/buckets. Two if i'm using blowoffs.

vhnMTiZ.jpg

Shot of the fermentors from the door.

ZpfRydy.jpg

Cut the piece of foam from the door. Tight fit.

6o08rCE.jpg

Got some thin plywood and covered the front and end.

Vw0VeO4.jpg

Cut a hole for the heating source, the temp probe, and the lighting. Plugged it up with more foam after the cords were put through.

uqArRjY.jpg

Installed the fan in front of the cooling unit in the fridge. It's a computer styled fan, but is powered by a normal outlet and even has a built in controller unit. I might buy another to build a stir plate.

KXGjvgG.jpg

Took a break and made a cider. Since my porter just finished up, I guess I need something to put in this thing!

0QwcOgV.jpg

Painted up. I added a top, which was a layer of OSB with some whiteboard material over the top. I also added the vent, so heat from the side of the mini fridge will be able to escape. The back is uncovered, so that side is fine.

A6jQEjY.jpg

Framed the door up. Taped the **** out of it, so it should hold up just fine.

ha8kwpU.jpg

yPyUONy.jpg

Added some plywood to the door to protect the foam. Its a very tight fit, and is sealed very well.

0r778c9.jpg

Shot of the hatch that covers the window. Keeps the light out when I dont want it in there, and gives me some extra bench space.

IJLFBAC.jpg

Shot through the viewing window. Installed some extra LED strips I had lying around. The controller allows you to change the color. Fancy.

CLPu3vd.jpg

The cider is happy. This is what it looks like with the "normal" setting on the lights. Temp probe from the controller is taped in between the fermenter and a piece of foam.

You can also kind of see the heat cable. I snaked it back and forth along the back side, the end cap, and the space to the right of the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great! I'm in the middle of building one and seeing yours I should have enclosed the fridge instead of leaving it hanging off the side. Was the backside by the fridge left open for cooling the hot side? That would be my only concern when enclosing the fridge but looks like you covered it. Nice job

Was the backside by the fridge left open for cooling the hot side? That would be my only concern when enclosing the fridge but looks like you covered it. Nice job
Yeah the back of the fridge and the back side of the entire chamber are exposed.

I need to get my butt in gear and make one of these. Making sure that I rotate my frozen water bottles is a pain in the butt.

Very nice build, btw, and I plan to steal your window idea.

Craigslist, here I come!

Back