Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY temp controller build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #31
ftlstrings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shildebr View Post
Sorry, guess it only goes to 35, good enough I think, unless you like beer-cicles.

What is the voltage output of the 6020 (sent to the SSR)?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #32
T-Hops
Recipes 

What ever the output of your transformer is.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:20 AM   #33
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino17 View Post
In this SSR application, is a heatsink required? I can't tell if you have used one or not. If you have, where have you placed it?

Cheers,

Rhino
sorry, missed this. no heat sink is necessary.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 06-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #34
liljimmynorton
Recipes 

If I plan on using a window ac unti can I just wire this in place of the units original controls. I assume I would not need a relay since it would essentially be functioning as an ac in your house. Does anyone know if the window unit also uses the same voltage as a house system would?

Old 06-15-2010, 04:29 AM   #35
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i think there is a relay built into your thermostat wiring system in the furnace/ac, i'm not 100% sure about that, but I would guess that is the case. so, i think the relay would be necessary. it's not too hard to wire up and you could just plug the AC into the box if you wanted to and it might be a little less messy than if you tapped into the thermostat (although i think you might need to anyway, just to get it into a warm area so it doesn't kick off the unit).

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 AM   #36
Pickngrin
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just finished assembling one of these devices using a Ritetemp 8029. It isn't switching the freezer on, no matter what temp I set it at. I've double-checked the wiring (made sure I was plugging the freezer into the switched receptacle) and can't figure out what the problem is. I'm using a 5 volt DC adapter and a new SSR I bought through eBay (ie, direct from China). The freezer does power on when plugged into an unswitched outlet.
Any ideas?

Nevermind -- I just checked it yet again and as it turns out, the color coding on my DC adapter wires is the reverse of what I'd expected -- black is positive and red is negative. However, I am finding that if I can get the freezer to switch on the first time, if I set the thermostat lower than the internal temperature, and then can get it to switch off if I raise the target temp. However, I cannot get the freezer to switch back on if I drop the target temp again. Is there some sort of delay built into the thermostat?

Old 06-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #37
Azrack
Recipes 

shildebr what automotive relay did you use please?

Old 06-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #38
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickngrin View Post
...However, I am finding that if I can get the freezer to switch on the first time, if I set the thermostat lower than the internal temperature, and then can get it to switch off if I raise the target temp. However, I cannot get the freezer to switch back on if I drop the target temp again. Is there some sort of delay built into the thermostat?
There may be a delay - even in your freezer...I would wait 5 -10 minutes between switching actions, to verify, (and to minimize the strain on the compressor).

Old 08-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #39
wheatgerm
Recipes 

Just finished building mine. Got the fridge off Craigslist for free since it "wasn't cooling well." Ended up just needing a evap. fan motor. Got a used one off of eBay for $9. With the parts for this controller being around $40, I figure I got a temp controlled fermentation fridge for $50. Can't beat that.

Pic:

Looks a little sloppy, but I'll clean up the build tonight. Thanks for the plans and the link to the relay on eBay. Much appreciated.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #40
statman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Johnson Controllers (A19 type) can be had from ebay for < $30. That's where I bought mine. You do have to supply your own power cord, but that's it.
Its good you can do all of that stuff but those costs add up and that makes less time for the pretty stuff. For 70 bucks, why not buy the Johnson electronic (not mechanical) control with adjustable time-delay and differential and all you have to do is plug it in (and drop the probe inside). We are selling more and more of these. It takes 3 minutes to read the instructions and about 1 minute to program it.

Quick Reply