Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > DIY Beer Cellar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 02:00 AM   #1
BigDaveZJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default DIY Beer Cellar

Thinking about different ways to pull this off. Even being completely below grade, my basement only gets to about 63, even in the winter in Denver. I could just use a stand up freezer with a temp controller, but want something a little more visually appealing. I was thinking an insulated cabinet of some sort in a bar area that we're planning on building soon. I'd like 150-200 bottle capacity, and shallower for ease of seeing everything.

Keeping it cool is the part I get stuck on though. I plan on having a kegerator/keezer in the bar, and was thinking I might be able to cool it off of that? Similar to the way a regular fridge gets its cold air from the freezer. I was thinking on having some ducting run from the keezer to the celler, and use a temp controller to power fans to blow cold air from the keezer into the cabinet. Maybe put a damper in there too. This will make the keezer work a little harder, but I'm not really worried about that since I'm just asking a device meant to maintain roughly 0 degree temps to maintain 38 and 55, albeit in a larger space. I really only need it 10 degrees below ambient, so I will insulate it and seal it off as best as I can, but mainly wondering if anyone has tried this before or if I'm completely off track somewhere in my thinking.

My favorite beer is one I've never had before.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 03:15 AM   #2
Jim_Holmes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

how about maybe insulating the walls of a china cabinet and running a duct from your keezer to cool for a fancy cabinet. or if you want something meant for the task, a glass display cooler

Old 03-14-2014, 01:15 AM   #3
plastikman8
Recipes 

I have been dreaming up something similar, but instead of ducting air, running copper tubing and a pump to circulate water (or glycol) from a vessel in either my keezer or my deep freeze on the other side of the wall from where the insulated cellar would be on. I Just haven't had the time to commit to trying something like this yet.

I know that people use ducted air and also circulated water for their fermenter setups, so I would think either way would work pretty well.

Nic

Quick Reply