Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Direct heat mash tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 02:14 AM   #1
kcinpdx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Direct heat mash tun

Seems like the simplest way to get consistent temperature control over the mash would be a direct fired tun with recirculation as I already own a keggle mash tun and a pump. However I don't want to assume this. Any thoughts on this?

Also since the mash is already heated it seems like a small burner could maintain the temp. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 03:32 AM   #2
ebeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep you have all you need. Small flame will do it, in fact a very very low flame is usually all I need.

I find that consistent temperature is easy, but can be a bit of a moving target. I recirculate during the entire mash with a very small flame. Sometimes I do this with the lid off, and sometime with the lid on. It really depends on how big the grain bill is for thermal mass, what the outside temperature is, and how windy it is. Anyway, it's not hard to find the right combination of flame strength and lid combo to hold a constant temp...rarely moving more than a degree.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcinpdx View Post
Seems like the simplest way to get consistent temperature control over the mash would be a direct fired tun with recirculation as I already own a keggle mash tun and a pump. However I don't want to assume this. Any thoughts on this?

Also since the mash is already heated it seems like a small burner could maintain the temp. Thoughts?
Bobby M is very successful brewing this way. There are a lot of ways to successfully brew beer and this is definetely one of them.

Guy

Old 11-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
kcinpdx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm wondering if I could get away with a very small burner - 10,000 BTU or so. Anyone try this?

Old 11-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
ibbones
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I haven't figured out yet, but this is going to be one of my next moves. Lots of posts on doing this with great results.

"BONES"

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
ahansler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

10,000 BTU would be fine. I use an old turkey fryer burner with it turned down really low, it can't be more than 12,000 BTU opened up all the way. Also I use a false bottom.

Quick Reply