Craigslist Find: Magic Chef HMCF7W1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the reviews it looks like the most common problem is a freon leak, which is ridiculous to repair unless you have the right equipment or know someone.

I'd say keep looking.

I have a chest freezer I bought new from Lowe's that's about that size. I can get 3 kegs in it, and a 4th 3 gallon on the hump along with the co2. I feel like its just a little small. I can't get a commercial keg in it. I paid $200 new after a couple of $50 craigslist freezers quit on me. I was just unlucky.

If I was buying used on Craigslist I would want more for my money. The second freezer I got was huge, and was incredibly heavy. Bought it sight unseen. Had I known how heavy it was, I would have passed. Hold out for something a little bigger is my advice. Also make a template for the # of kegs you want in keeper, and take that with you to make your decision. I guess if you had to have that one, I'd offer $35.

I bought a 4.6 cu ft Magic Chef fridge on CL, it has to be one of the best buys that I've made, this fridge can maintain temps from 28° on up with a 6 gallon carboy in it.
I'm a big fan of Magic Chef because of this!

MrFoodScientist: Good advice. I took it.

Glugglug: that's just bad luck with those craigslist finds. I'm mainly looking to accommodate homebrews, so the 7-8cu ft. size range works for me.

Pumpkinman: I hope my magic chef runs as well as yours! I ended up buying one yesterday (Model mccf7wbx). It's approximately 7 cubic feet and the price was right at sixty dollars. Here's hoping she lives a long time!

Cheers

Did you end up making it into a keezer, you can get them new at home depot for $158 so wondering if it's a good buy.

Did you end up making it into a keezer, you can get them new at home depot for $158 so wondering if it's a good buy.

Find someone you know with a Costco card if you dont have one.

Almost year round you can buy a 7.1 CuFt Haier chest freezer for 175 that fits 4 kegs(ball lock) + 5# CO2 tank...its tight but it fits. I even was able to fit a 2.5 gallon keg on the hump...so 22.5 gallons + CO2 without a collar...impressive.

$175 is a little out of my price range... might try to find something on craigslist at some point. $150 is about it for me really... wife would disagree probably ha...

Happy wife, happy life. The freezers on CL are, some you get what you paid for, and sometimes you pay for what you get. For another $25.00 or so, you get brand new, under warranty, no worries, kind of freezer. Just my $0.02

Happy wife, happy life. The freezers on CL are, some you get what you paid for, and sometimes you pay for what you get. For another $25.00 or so, you get brand new, under warranty, no worries, kind of freezer. Just my $0.02

True that... have a 4 tap kegerator now but it's a way old fridge and very inefficient, freezer I don't even use cept for freezing gallon jugs. I'm trying to sell her on the efficiency of a keezer versus and hoping at some point she will break. ha... The first thing I want to do is build a STC-1000 controller because, even though it gives me an excuse to go out to the garage to "sample", I am getting tired of checking it and either turning on/off the fridge or on/off the light bulb. ha. After that I'll be on the hunt for a freezer, just trying to figure out what size I need and how much it's going to cost me.

Latest posts

Back