Please recommend a tasty Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, I was just looking at that, too.

The reason I asked is because I find newcastles to be a world apart from sammy smith's nutbrown. (Newcastle tastes kind of watery and bland to me.)

But, even on the BJC site, there is a "nut brown" commercial example listed in both the southern and northern sub-sections.

I guess the "nut" would just be due to the flavor of the brown ale.

-walker

Hmmm....I guess I'm showing my ignorance here. I'm always thinking two or more home brews ahead of myself and I like to sample a variety before I brew somethin' up. I had a Goose Island that was very good and wondered if there are others I should purchase for "research purposes." I did like the nuttly flavor but perhaps I should look into other brown ales. Are there any with honey as well?

Simple answer. Brown ale is brown ale. Squirrel comes along, pisses in it. It's now a nut brown ale. 'Mephitis mephitis' comes along after the squirrel and adds it's contribution. By then it's already in US/UK Stores....;)
Mr_Turtlehead -If you like brown ales with a touch of honey look for Rogue's 'Dead Guy Ale' - it fits!:)

Walker said:
I guess the "nut" would just be due to the flavor of the brown ale.

-walker

That's what I've ended up guessing before. I'm like you on the SS vs. NC. Still, I was glad to see it on the list when I had to go to Steak and Ale with my inlaws the other day. I was impressed, really, I didn't figure they'd have an actual Ale on their menu at all. Boy, I was wrong.

They had one! :rolleyes:

sam adams makes a good brown ale, i dont know if its got nuts or not though...

brown ale is probably my least favorite style of beer next to wheat beer, but i can drink a sam adams brown without gagging...i think newcasctle brown ale is the worst 'good' beer on the market...

Caplan said:
Mr_Turtlehead -If you like brown ales with a touch of honey look for Rogue's 'Dead Guy Ale' - it fits!:)

Hmm....I thought Dead Guy was supposed to be a maibock? It's unlike anything I've ever had, that's for sure. Good stuff, regardless of what it is.

I also vote for Sammy Smith's nut brown. As for what makes it "nut", I guess I never really considered that.

billybrew said:
Still, I was glad to see it on the list when I had to go to Steak and Ale with my inlaws the other day. I was impressed, really, I didn't figure they'd have an actual Ale on their menu at all. Boy, I was wrong.

They had one! :rolleyes:
Yeah, but it was 3.2, wasn't it. :(

I like SS Nut Brown, as well. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm one of the few people around here who doesn't poo poo on brown ales...I really like them. I drink more American brown ales than British (availability?). Brooklyn Brown is a good 'gateway' brown, and I believe the availability is good in a lot of places. Around here I drink Cottonwood Low Down Brown, Duck-Rabbit Brown, CBC Brown Ale, and Edenton St's Uncle Nut's Brown. I don't think they're as readily available. I like Rogue's Hazelnut Brown, but just as a single dessert beer.

I *LOVE* brown ales. Probably my 2nd favorite style overall. The house staple (which I am out of ironically) is a simple, cheaply made brown ale. It's my meat and potatoes beer, and the porters, IPAs, stouts, etc are the 'special' beers that make my collection interesting and varied.

Porter is my favorite, but I haven't found my ideal recipe yet (but I think I am VERY close this time.)

-walker

Sam75 said:
Hmm....I thought Dead Guy was supposed to be a maibock? It's unlike anything I've ever had, that's for sure. Good stuff, regardless of what it is.
A Maibock - I'd forgotten that's what they call it! A Maibock that's made with ale yeast not a lager yeast and the last one i had came with best before date of 1st March 2006???? :D
It's not a 'brown ale' in the true style - too high an ABV and colour but i think it fits the criteria of Mr_Turtlehead - a darker ale with low hop bitterness and hints of honey. Good Stuff as you say!:mug:

Back