Common ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaskBrewer306

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm just about to get into all grain, and sadly my local supply store is closing. I like to drink pilsners, brown ales, and stouts mostly. I'd really like some kettle sours in the future too, they sound a little more advanced.

While the stuff is available local, any recommendations on what I should stock up on?

If you're just getting into all-grain, it's not a bad idea to keep the recipes simple until you get the hang of things. An accurate thermometer is crucial for monitoring mash temps. Are you planning to do traditional 3-vessel brewing, brew-in-a-bag (BIAB), or an all in one brewing system like Grainfather, etc.? For BIAB, all you really need is a good bag, and a kettle with sufficient volume to hold the mash.

For base malts you could do those styles with two: Pilsner malt, and a British malt, like Maris Otter.
I don't know what recipes you're considering, so the specialty malts, hops, yeast you'll need could go in a lot of directions.

If you plan to stock up before the LHBS closes, store your grain in a cool, dry place in airtight containers, like 5 gallon buckets with lids or Gamma Seal lids. You can buy hops by the pound, vacuum-sealed, and store them for a long time in your freezer. Dry yeast might be better than liquid for stocking up. Kept in the fridge, dry yeast can be viable a year or so after its stated use-by date.

2 row lots of 2 row.
its very flexible theres a lot you can make with 2 row

from howdy brewer:

Quick Overview​

• Briess Brewers 2-Row is a fantastic base malt that can be used for all beer styles.
  • Briess 2-row contributes a clean, sweet, and slightly malty character along with a light straw color.
a lot of my recipes employ 2 row.

but a little marris otter and maybe some pilsner malt couldnt hurt either

tough call. try to figure out the next few recipes you want to do and get those ingredient.s

I will "third" the recommendations to get at least one full sack of base malt (aka "2-row brewer's malt"). The reason for this, is because shippers charge a lot for big, bulky, heavy items!

My LHBS stores (Northern Brewer & Midwest Supplies) both closed recently, but if they were still open for just one more day, I'd head out first thing in the morning and grab the following: a full sack of base malt (maybe two sacks), and then 5 to 10 lbs each (bagged separately) of: munich 10L, caramel 60L, pale chocolate, chocolate, roast barley, and a couple of others.

And a grain mill, if you don't already have one!

If you're just getting into all-grain, it's not a bad idea to keep the recipes simple until you get the hang of things. An accurate thermometer is crucial for monitoring mash temps. Are you planning to do traditional 3-vessel brewing, brew-in-a-bag (BIAB), or an all in one brewing system like Grainfather, etc.? For BIAB, all you really need is a good bag, and a kettle with sufficient volume to hold the mash.

For base malts you could do those styles with two: Pilsner malt, and a British malt, like Maris Otter.
I don't know what recipes you're considering, so the specialty malts, hops, yeast you'll need could go in a lot of directions.

If you plan to stock up before the LHBS closes, store your grain in a cool, dry place in airtight containers, like 5 gallon buckets with lids or Gamma Seal lids. You can buy hops by the pound, vacuum-sealed, and store them for a long time in your freezer. Dry yeast might be better than liquid for stocking up. Kept in the fridge, dry yeast can be viable a year or so after its stated use-by date.
I've been brewing my whole life... I just quit beers in the late 90s because I hate bottling. I have a keg system now, but I'm just doing wort kits. I've been doing wines, ciders etc, and for the past 5 or so distilling. I've got all the tools... the containers I will need to buy. The local shop.is selling some, and he's been good to me over the years so I'll buy his used ones, they probably aren't easy to sell. Eventual is a brewzilla, but for now a t500 boiler and creativity...

I've been brewing my whole life... I just quit beers in the late 90s because I hate bottling. I have a keg system now, but I'm just doing wort kits. I've been doing wines, ciders etc, and for the past 5 or so distilling. I've got all the tools... the containers I will need to buy. The local shop.is selling some, and he's been good to me over the years so I'll buy his used ones, they probably aren't easy to sell. Eventual is a brewzilla, but for now a t500
I will "third" the recommendations to get at least one full sack of base malt (aka "2-row brewer's malt"). The reason for this, is because shippers charge a lot for big, bulky, heavy items!

My LHBS stores (Northern Brewer & Midwest Supplies) both closed recently, but if they were still open for just one more day, I'd head out first thing in the morning and grab the following: a full sack of base malt (maybe two sacks), and then 5 to 10 lbs each (bagged separately) of: munich 10L, caramel 60L, pale chocolate, chocolate, roast barley, and a couple of others.

And a grain mill, if you don't already have one!
Thanks for the tips, which are the most common base malts for those 3 styles in your opinion? I might be getting late, im not sure what he has in stock. Wish I made this move a year ago...

Thanks for the tips, which are the most common base malts for those 3 styles in your opinion? I might be getting late, im not sure what he has in stock. Wish I made this move a year ago...
You mentioned liking pilsners, brown ales, and stouts...

Pilsner kind of has to use pilsner malt.
But your brown ales and stouts would be fine with 2-row brewer's malt.
If you're a stickler for "regional authenticity" who thinks "stout = dry english stout", then maris otter or pearl.

I find that when I "stock up" on things, that my preferences change afterward and I'm stuck with a lot of stuff I don't use.

However base malts are fairly good choice to keep and store larger quantities. If you aren't looking for exact clones or exact flavors, then they are fairly interchangeable amongst the various recipes to at least give you a decent beer.

Latest posts

Back