New Belgium Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
I had this for the first time in a long time this weekend, and it was a lot better than I remembered.

Nice sweet and citrusy esters. Much more Belgian-tasting than any of their other brews with the possible exception of the seasonal Bier de Mars (which I really like). They claim that it uses an authentic belgian strain, which I believe. (Most of their beers do not). It does lack a bit of the spicy and horse-blankety phenol that make the belgina strains so unique--I'm sure that's on purpose.

For the money (around $7 for a sixer), this is a very credible American take on the style: certainly a lot cheaper than the real thing or other North American versions like Unibroe or Ommegang.

Any idea how far east they distribute? I've only had NB when my cousin visits from COL.

As far east as Missouri/Arkansas.

They distribute to the following states:

Washington, Oregon, Northern California, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Nebraska, Kansas, Texas, Missouri, Arkansas

I personally like the La Folie. It is an amazing beer. A Flanders Style Red in the tradition of Rodenbach. Actually aged in oak fermenters aquired from the Rodenbach Brewery in Belgium and brewed by Peter Bouckaert who used to brew at Rodenbach.

Brewtopia said:
As far east as Missouri/Arkansas.

They distribute to the following states:

Washington, Oregon, Northern California, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Nebraska, Kansas, Texas, Missouri, Arkansas

I personally like the La Folie. It is an amazing beer. A Flanders Style Red in the tradition of Rodenbach. Actually aged in oak fermenters aquired from the Rodenbach Brewery in Belgium and brewed by Peter Bouckaert who used to brew at Rodenbach.

I should clarify that my comments about NB's beers pertain to their "regular" line-up, the ones they widely distribute, which doesn't include the more authentically Belgian ones like the LaFolie. To my tastes, the Tripel is really the only Belgian-tasting beer from their regular, available-all-year lineup.

cweston said:
... that make the belgina strains so unique--I'm sure that's on purpose.

I love gettin' me some sweet belgina :ban: That is my purpose.

5gB

Brewtopia said:
Yes, I agree.

By the way, here's a picture of those La Folie tanks at New Belgium.

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1712&c=1&userid=5979

Of course, those dudes are just standing there in awe...

I have never traveled to Europe but if I ever do, it will be to Belgium and Ireland. I think I'll start saving now and in 18 years, when the kids are all off to college, me and SWMBO will do it!

On the other hand... I really have a hard time drinking those New Belgium brews. I think they are a bit yeasty. They all (and fat tire too) have a chewy, funky thing to them. I think it's the bugs they put in after the fermentation starts. Gives them a different flavor.

Is that how the brews in Belgium are?

Back