Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast Washing Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
b33risGOOD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yeast Washing Question

I washed my yeast, according to the illustrated thread we have on here (which is great)

But i have a noob question. I have my yeast in 4 mason jars, sitting in the fridge and the jars have seperated into 3 distinct color layers.

In the thread once it was in the mason jars there was only 2 distinct layers. Should I try to pour it out again and let it settle?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
trevorc13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeah I'm going through the same thing right now. Asked northern brewer about it and they said to keep washing it until there is only yeast and liquid on top. That's my plan for today. I already boiled and filled four more quart mason jars of water and I plan on dumping the current mason jars of their liquid. I'll carefully pour the yeast and remaining liquid into a flask I use for starters. Then dump the crap left over and wash the yeast with the new water. Hope I won't have to do it again, but we'll see.

Thanks for the input

Old 12-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

leave it alone.... it is fine IMO. when the time comes to use it, pour off the clear liquid and make a starter with the stuff on the bottom. there is some stuff in there besides yeast but it will be minimal and should have no effect on anything........ Again this is just my opinion as I have only washed yeast a couple of times.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 12-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
leave it alone.... it is fine IMO. when the time comes to use it, pour off the clear liquid and make a starter with the stuff on the bottom. there is some stuff in there besides yeast but it will be minimal and should have no effect on anything........ Again this is just my opinion as I have only washed yeast a couple of times.
I completely agree. Washing yeast is a lot of effort. I rack off the beer, add back a quart of water and then split into pint mason jars, and store in the fridge. If you use it within a month, pour off the settled liquid and pitch the slurry straight into the new wort. After a month I make a starter to make sure everything is OK with the yeast.

Quick Reply