yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

payton34

Reaction score
I would like to know if the yeast that collects in the bottom of the container that my blow off tube empties into is reuseable? Iam not culturing my own yeast yet but i would like to someday.:drunk::rockin:

I wouldn't use it myself, but only because my jar isn't completly sanitary. If you rigged up a burton type collection system in which the collector jar was fitted with an airlock and everything was sanitary, then yes, that yeast would be really good to use.

In my setup, the liquid in that container is starsan, so probably not :) In every configuration I can think of, that liquid is also exposed to outside air, and is therefore under greatly increased risk of infection (which is also why I use sanitizer).

The yeast on the bottom of your fermentation vessel is probably in much better shape, and there should be a LOT more of it.

Back