Wyeast vs Fermentis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefjp

Reaction score
Here in Mexico, I can only find fermentis yeast, in my LHBS and online shops. but i see everyone talking about wyeast. Is theret a real diference? I see there is a lot more strains of yeast from wyeast than fermentis.

Thanks

Not too much of a difference, in fact, generally they all use the same strains. If you google the Wyeast name and fermentis you'll probably find matches.

Here's a comparison site for White Labs vs Wyeast. Unfortunately I don't know of one for fermentis.
http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

Personal preference. Some yeasts may impart their own destinct characteristics but "tomatoes, tomotoes!"

Fermentis will give you the basic yeasts. Pretty good yeasts, but 'standards'. Wyeast and White Labs produce the same or similar yeasts, and where they are the same, I would recommend using the Fermetis yeast due to cost and ease of use.

What Wyeast and White ;labs have, is a much greater selection of yeasts for different styles, flavors, attenuation, and flocculation. Many of the yeasts have their origins in different breweries. If you can't get them you might want to research beers that have live yeast in, and try culturing the dregs to get hold of some different strains.

Fermentis dry yeasts are very good, when they fit the style I an brewing I prefer them.

Wyeast and white labs give you a bigger selection of yeasts though.

Advantage of dry fermentis yeasts, no need for a starter. Advantage to white labs and wyeast is selection.

I found an online store here in Mexico, that carries some white labs yeast, but it cost 3 times more than fermentis!!!, I think Ill stick with fermentis, thanks everyone

Back