Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ugh, first two batches are NOT good.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2009, 04:28 AM   #1
jajabee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ugh, first two batches are NOT good.

Just tasted the our first two beers, both AG, both awful!! We figured they wouldn't be anything great, since they both got like 38% efficiency from the mash, and waaaaay low OG's, but ugh, these aren't even going to be drinkable.

Well, a do-over of one is bottle conditioning now, hopefully that will turn out ok, and there's one more to bottle next week... And then I'll be brewing 3 more batches, hopefully improving on my skillz. :P

Carboys: Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Caramel Cream Ale, Edwort's Hefeweizen, Rhubarb Wheat, Hoppy Belgian Sour, Pumpkin Ale (infected, RIP), Caramel Cream #2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 04:38 AM   #2
slomo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Keep on plugin dont give up! AG is a difficult if your just starting out.

Primary: guinness clone, IIPA
Secondary:
Bottled: RIS
The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Old 05-02-2009, 04:40 AM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Describe "awful".

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 05-02-2009, 05:02 AM   #4
jajabee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We've been trying to describe it.... I don't think they're infected, just really badly made. The Dunkelweiss turned out .05% ABV, so it's basically just a gross malt soda. It's super malty with a vaguely metallic taste, and apparently a flavor much like this: huitlacoche (mexican truffle 210g can)

The other one, meant to be Papazian's Holiday Cheer, came out 2.95%, and looks and smells reasonably okay, but doesn't taste pleasant, and leaves my tongue feeling stripped.

Bottled: Caramel Cream Ale, Edwort's Hefeweizen, Rhubarb Wheat, Hoppy Belgian Sour, Pumpkin Ale (infected, RIP), Caramel Cream #2

Old 05-02-2009, 05:07 AM   #5
Spludge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It would be tough to jump straight into AG so don't be too discouraged, this is why most (including myself) start with extract. Stick with it and maybe try an extract to get your basic techniques down. Good Luck!

Schadenfreud Brewing
Beer and hockey, the reasons I wake up every afternoon

Fermenting
Jamil's Russian Imperial Stout, RIS Partigyle, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Denny Conn RyeIPA, BierMuncher's B.W. #2

Bottle Conditioning/Drinking
Jamil's ESB, Honey Raspberry,EdWort's Bavarian Hefe, Oatmeal Stout, Jamil's Amber Ale, BierMuncher's Belgian Wit, Red Ale, Kitchen Sink, Yeasty Beasty Hefe, American Pale, Zone Zero Black, Maibock

Foster School of Business

Husky Ice Hockey

Old 05-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Might also have some light extract handy so if your efficiency is really low, you can add some to bring up your OG to salvage the brew.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 05-02-2009, 05:42 AM   #7
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you might consider spelling out your process and having some of the more experienced members give you some pointers. definitely don't give up, they'll get better.

+1 to the idea of having some extract handy to boost the OG.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 05-02-2009, 05:47 AM   #8
jajabee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I'm hoping that the next two batches will already have overcome a lot of the mistakes... one's in bottles already, one will be bottled next week. We found out what we were doing wrong with the mash (bad crush, no stirring, etc), so the OG's of the next two were good. If they don't turn out okay, though, I'd love to get some input on my process.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
ACo
Recipes 

.05%abv? did u crush your grains by yourself? maybe go to the lhbs and have him/her show you how to do it.

Primary 1: Empty :(
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Empty
Bottled: 802 AIPA (6% abv), Dunkelweizen (6.6% abv), EdWort's Apfelwein (8.5% abv), Centennial IPA (6.2% abv), 802 House Honey Pils Pale Ale (3.2% abv), 802 100IBU IIPA (7.7% abv), 802 Magnum/Centennial IPA (6.0% abv), 802 Honey Cream Ale (6.0% abv), Bourbon Breakfast Stout (7% abv)

Old 05-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #10
jajabee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We crushed those at the LHBS, but it was a wheat beer, and we used the barley crusher... I realize now that the other mill in there must be for the smaller malts like wheat and stuff. Also it wasn't stirred as well during mashing, and the temps started out around 168 for the first 15 minutes or so... so yeah, some pretty big mistakes. I really hope these next two come out okay, cause otherwise that's a heck of a lot of money to be pouring down the drain.

Quick Reply