Trub layer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonDoe

Reaction score
Two days ago, I transferred my first batch of wort (hooray!(?)) from the boil pot into the fermenter. I have noticed by looking at the bucket (siphonless - William's Home Brewing Kit) that they layer of trub appears to be a bit more than I had hoped...I think it's above the spigot at the bottom of the bucket.

Will this cause a major problem when I transfer it from the fermenter to the priming tank?

If so, does anyone have any fun tricks on how to remove excess trub from the bottom so it doesn't clog the spigot? I don't have a siphon.

I'm really glad that I found this forum, it seems like folks here are very helpful and kind to the new kids!

if you're worried about it then get an autosiphon or racking cane and do it from the top rather than using the spigot.

Or take a sanitized spoon and scoop the trub away from the spigot a few days before you plan to bottle, that would also be a great time to take a gravity reading to make sure you're finished fermenting.

There is a good video on siphoning, as long as you have a racking cane and some tubing. Do you have a racking cane?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6wnVFsGdv0]Episode 011 - Siphoning Your Beer to the Bottling Bucket - YouTube[/ame]

A lot of brewers, myself included, try to stay away from buckets with the spigots especially for fermentation. The spigots are a nightmare to sanitize for future batches. I would look into a bucket with no spigot or a carboy style fermenter for fermentation and then just rack off the beer right above the trub. I use stainless conical fermenters with stainless ball valve spigots on them, but I also disassemble the spigots and sanitize them prior to introducing any wort to the fermenter. Stainless is much easier to sanitize than plastic. After a sample is drawn from the spigot or yeast is harvested I use my spray bottle full of star San to sanitize the spigot once again.

Thanks for all the feedback and the video! I will definitely check in to getting a carboy or regular bucket down the road. I got the kit as a Christmas present, so I'll use it for awhile before dropping more money on a new setup.

Back