Should I bottle It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkasamis

Reaction score
I noticed a little fuzz on top of the brew and on the lid after the first week in the primary. Fermentation seemed weak in airlock but I also was out of town for the 2nd and 3rd days. At the time it was difficult to tell if what was on top it was infection or some type of break. I decided to let it run and see where we got too.

Took the lid of today, 2 month mark in the primary...it smells pretty good but i've never had floaties like this in my brews before! Should I bottle it, and how? Any idea's/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Just paid for my membership so pics are attachments.

Brew1.JPG

Brew2.JPG

bottle it, it couldn't hurt. at worst, it'll taste bad. conventional wisdom seems to say that no beer infection can actually harm you.

Could be a fantastic brew!

If I can't get sick from any type of beer infection then I think I can just move on with it? Perhaps i'll rack it off to a secondary to let it clear for a while and move on with bottling. Just want to be sure I wont' be making anyone sick.

The whole point behind brewing beer in old days was so that the people could have something safe to drink because no harmful bacteria can survive in fermenting beer wort. Yes, you can get stuff that can taste absolutely awful, but it will not actively make you sick.

Best tip I learned for leaving solid junk behind in the primary: sanitize about 3-4 rubber bands, attach a hop bag to the suction end of an auto-siphon, and rack away.

I'd let it bottle condition for at least a month in your situation.

i've been made sick from bad brews, but only due to nauseating flavor :) heck, I get that effect from most Saranac brews! if it's truly infected with mold you'll probably be dumping it anyway due to taste, so you won't be making anyone sick.
btw, the floaties look normal. those lid spots are a bit suspect, but hard to tell. if there's any dry fuzz that protrudes from the surface, it's mold.

Thanks Guys!! I feel a lot better about it. I think I will use scrambledegg81's advice on racking. This forum is great, glad I joined.

Hey all,
I've brewed several batches and I think I have my first infection. It's a black IPA sitting in secondary after 2 weeks; I noticed it after 1 week. Does this look like an infection, or could it just be yeast chunks floating to the top? Should I bottle? Help would be greatly appreciated!

DSC02121.jpg

it is fine...that is just a very active ferment and hop debris stuck on the side....

Mephistopheles said:
Hey all,
I've brewed several batches and I think I have my first infection. It's a black IPA sitting in secondary after 2 weeks; I noticed it after 1 week. Does this look like an infection, or could it just be yeast chunks floating to the top? Should I bottle? Help would be greatly appreciated!

Lett'r rip!

Mephistopheles said:
Hey all,

I would taste it that def looks like a pellicle to me my guess is its gonna be a bit sour. Btw why are you only using tin foil and not a airlock ? It will allow oxygen in which will encourage acetobacter as well as Brett to grow in a aerobic state.

Smells fine, tastes great, no sourness, so I kegged it. Sorry for the bad picture; and there is an airlock on top, it's just out of the frame. Sometimes I wrap tinfoil around the glass-rubber stopper-airlock joint to be extra-safe, even though it probably does nothing. Thanks again!

My guess is. If you have to ask... . dump it. But seriously, if you have to ask, don't ask.

My guess is. If you have to ask... . dump it. But seriously, if you have to ask, don't ask.

If that were true 99% of the first timers batches would be poured down the sink...I would think a more accurate statement would be if you have to ask then drink it. If it isn't so obvious that you know without asking it is probably fine.

iambeer said:

I've been brewing for years and still ask questions... Just because t may seem like a noob question does not make it invalid and obviously the op cared enough to do so and good for him as its better to ask and calm his nerves and give a legitimate answer than to not and become discouraged to brew more and feel the hbt community is not helpful. I for one appreciate the op for asking.

To the op it looks like floculated yeast to me that floated to the top that had happened to me with English strains often. As to the black stuff on the sides and lids that looks like Krausen that stuck to the sides and top. That is why I use clear glass 99% of the time that yeast may have been floating up there the whole time.

Took the lid of today, 2 month mark in the primary...it smells pretty good but i've never had floaties like this in my brews before! Should I bottle it, and how? Any idea's/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Just paid for my membership so pics are attachments.

...2 month in the primary ?
At this point get it into a sterile secondary vessel and ensure you leave all that floating stuff behind ...I'd be inclined do a taste-test before bottling and then make a go/no-go decision at that point.

Mephistopheles said:
Smells fine, tastes great, no sourness, so I kegged it. Sorry for the bad picture; and there is an airlock on top, it's just out of the frame. Sometimes I wrap tinfoil around the glass-rubber stopper-airlock joint to be extra-safe, even though it probably does nothing. Thanks again!

I think it'll be fine. I would definitely keep direct sunlight or fluorescent out of contact with your carboys though.

To the op;those are def yeast rafts with krausen gunk stuck on what looks like the lid. No worries. Just rack from under the yeast if it doesn't re-settle.

Latest posts

Back