Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Should I bottle It?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #11
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 31

it is fine...that is just a very active ferment and hop debris stuck on the side....

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
Mephistopheles
Recipes 

Alright, that's relieving to hear. Thanks for the quick reply!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
MinnesnowtaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles
Hey all,
I've brewed several batches and I think I have my first infection. It's a black IPA sitting in secondary after 2 weeks; I noticed it after 1 week. Does this look like an infection, or could it just be yeast chunks floating to the top? Should I bottle? Help would be greatly appreciated!
Lett'r rip!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #14
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Hey all,
I've brewed several batches and I think I have my first infection. It's a black IPA sitting in secondary after 2 weeks; I noticed it after 1 week. Does this look like an infection, or could it just be yeast chunks floating to the top? Should I bottle? Help would be greatly appreciated!
I would taste it that def looks like a pellicle to me my guess is its gonna be a bit sour. Btw why are you only using tin foil and not a airlock ? It will allow oxygen in which will encourage acetobacter as well as Brett to grow in a aerobic state.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 10-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #15
Mephistopheles
Recipes 

Smells fine, tastes great, no sourness, so I kegged it. Sorry for the bad picture; and there is an airlock on top, it's just out of the frame. Sometimes I wrap tinfoil around the glass-rubber stopper-airlock joint to be extra-safe, even though it probably does nothing. Thanks again!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:28 AM   #16
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

My guess is. If you have to ask... . dump it. But seriously, if you have to ask, don't ask.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
My guess is. If you have to ask... . dump it. But seriously, if you have to ask, don't ask.
If that were true 99% of the first timers batches would be poured down the sink...I would think a more accurate statement would be if you have to ask then drink it. If it isn't so obvious that you know without asking it is probably fine.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer
I've been brewing for years and still ask questions... Just because t may seem like a noob question does not make it invalid and obviously the op cared enough to do so and good for him as its better to ask and calm his nerves and give a legitimate answer than to not and become discouraged to brew more and feel the hbt community is not helpful. I for one appreciate the op for asking.

To the op it looks like floculated yeast to me that floated to the top that had happened to me with English strains often. As to the black stuff on the sides and lids that looks like Krausen that stuck to the sides and top. That is why I use clear glass 99% of the time that yeast may have been floating up there the whole time.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 10-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #19
SleepyCreekBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkasamis View Post

Took the lid of today, 2 month mark in the primary...it smells pretty good but i've never had floaties like this in my brews before! Should I bottle it, and how? Any idea's/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Just paid for my membership so pics are attachments.
...2 month in the primary ?
At this point get it into a sterile secondary vessel and ensure you leave all that floating stuff behind ...I'd be inclined do a taste-test before bottling and then make a go/no-go decision at that point.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #20
MinnesnowtaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Smells fine, tastes great, no sourness, so I kegged it. Sorry for the bad picture; and there is an airlock on top, it's just out of the frame. Sometimes I wrap tinfoil around the glass-rubber stopper-airlock joint to be extra-safe, even though it probably does nothing. Thanks again!
I think it'll be fine. I would definitely keep direct sunlight or fluorescent out of contact with your carboys though.

Quick Reply