secondary fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezatnova

Reaction score
I'm on my second brew (about to bottle tonight) and have never read the need for a secondary fermentation in any of the kit instructions. In the future, I'm going to try adding some oak cubes to a brew, and I believe this will need to take place in the secondary fermentation. My question is about what secondary fermentation entails exactly.
It seems like all I'd do is drain the fermenter bucket back into another bucket, leaving the majority of the yeast in the first bucket. Then put the lid w/ airlock on that new bucket after adding my oak chips, then let it sit for a few weeks. is that it? I still don't add the sugar until right when I'm going to bottle, correct?

Thanks!

I would recommend a 5 gallon carboy for secondary. Yes they are more expensive, but you don't have to worry about O2 seeping in through the plastic if you're leaving your brew for longer periods of time.

As for your method, you got it, just rack it on over.

You have it right. When you rack the beer into the secondary do it calmly as to not agitate the beer which could infuse oxygen into it.
When you bottle the beer you will want to rack it again into a bottling bucket with your cooled priming sugar/water mixture.

Back