secondary fermentation late

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
I made a recent cherry wheat beer, I added cherry at the point of transfering to the secondary. I had a bit left over so I added it to 2 1/2 gallon jugs and covered. One of the two jugs began to ferment about 2 weeks out. The other jug has subsided..do I have an infection?

It smells fine..but it fermenting very strong for 3 weeks out.

Jay

If you've added cherry to the secondary then you've added more fermentables which will excite the yeast again, I shouldn't think you have an infection, especially if it smells fine, Healthy fermentation is normally the sign of healthy Beer!

I STEEPED CHERRIES AND ADDED TO THE SECONDARY FERMENTATION. i HAD ABOUT A GALLON LEFT SO I KEPT TRANSFERRING INTO 2 SEPERATE 1/2 GALLON JUGS . THE ONE THAT IS STILL ACTIVE WAS THE FIRST FILLED(IE SOME CHERRIE JUICE ENTERED). I LEFT IN SECONDARY FOR A WEEK THAN WENT TO TERTIARY FOR A WEEK AND BOTTLED. THE 2 HALF GALLON JUGS I LEFT ALONE AND ONE BEGAN TO GO ACTIVE AGAIN..

JAY

discgolfin said:
I STEEPED CHERRIES AND ADDED TO THE SECONDARY FERMENTATION. i HAD ABOUT A GALLON LEFT SO I KEPT TRANSFERRING INTO 2 SEPERATE 1/2 GALLON JUGS . THE ONE THAT IS STILL ACTIVE WAS THE FIRST FILLED(IE SOME CHERRIE JUICE ENTERED). I LEFT IN SECONDARY FOR A WEEK THAN WENT TO TERTIARY FOR A WEEK AND BOTTLED. THE 2 HALF GALLON JUGS I LEFT ALONE AND ONE BEGAN TO GO ACTIVE AGAIN..

JAY
Stop shouting...you're making me go deaf...:rockin: (this icon means I can sign and have Parkinson's also, right??)

Back