secondary ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dansmith13

Reaction score
I have never done a secondary ferment and I'm thinking about doing one when this first one is done.

What, exactly, do I do?

I'm assuming that I just do the yeast thing again once I siphon the beer into another fermenter. Is this correct?

Should I get the same yeast they gave me in the kit I used?

It was a Heineken clone kit.

Thanks.

you don't have to add more yeast, part of the reason we do a secondary is to let some of the yeast drop out so that the beer is clearer.

I'm glad I asked then. Thanks. I assumed wrong....you know what happens when you assume!

So I just transfer it to another fermenter, cover and continue to ferment? I like the sound of that.

just make sure that baby is nice and clean and well sanitized!!! and make sure you don't splash it a bunch, you don't want to get any air into it. i've been thinking about even purging the secondary with CO2 before i rack to make sure the air is out of it.

Yeah, I still have to sanitize the second one but I just started fermenting so I have a while yet. I'm just going to use the bottling bucket with a lid on it since I'm not going to be bottling this batch. It's going right into the corny keg.

Quick question.... my primary ferment is going at about 65 degrees. Can or should my secondary ferment be cooler just the same?

Back