*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Racking to secondary - too short autosiphon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Zero0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Racking to secondary - too short autosiphon

So I just started brewing last week. Beer has been fermenting for a week and I need to rack it to my secondary. My problem: My store sold me a too short autosiphon, it does not even go halfway down into my 25L glass carboy.

What other way is there to transfer my beer into my secondary vessel? Earliest I can get a bigger autosiphon is next Friday, which is a bit late in my opinion.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
brewinchef_fairfax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Just put the carboy on a chair and raise it up to the right level.. Then get a longer hose for next time.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Cbaddad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 56

It won't be too late. Many guys here leave their beer in primary either the whole time or for at least 3 weeks.

If you really must rack it, waiting until Friday will not make a difference.

Just to understand: it is the tubing coming off the autosiphon that is short right? You can also just go to the hardware store to get some other tubing. Get 4 feet of it and you won't have a problem.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Zero0
Recipes 

My carboy is 55cm tall and the autosiphon only 33cm (the hard plastic part), tubing is long enough. I guess I'll wait till Friday, hope the beer isn't infected after messing around with it. Thanks for the advice.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
brewinchef_fairfax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

So you're saying that your auto-siphon wont go to the bottom of your primary? I think all you have to do is place the siphon in the primary and draw the siphon portion with the plunger all the way to the top and then pump the top of the siphon. While fully extended it should be long enough.

Quick Reply