New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Problems with New Batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2005, 10:34 PM   #1
ldaug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Problems with New Batch?

I brewed a stout I got from AHS. The recipe included 10lbs of Dark LME, 3/4lbs Crystal 40L, 1.3lbs Black Barley, 1/3lbs Black Patent, and 1oz Dark Chocolate.

Anyways, when I got this kit I had also ordered a reusable bag for putting hops in(the bag is finer then a muslin bag so less gets through). The bag was rather large so I did not end up using it for the hops, but I had a (bad) idea. I thought I would try and use it to filter the wort. I put the bag into a 6 gallon carboy with the top sticking out the top of the carboy. I then wrapped a rubber band around it to hold it and put my funnel down into the bag and into the carboy.

When the wort was around 80F I started pouring it in. I got about 3/4 of the wort in, but the bag just filled up and the wort was passing through the bag very slow. I pulled up on the bag to put pressure on it and that helped but it still seemed like it would take forever to filter. Eventually I said screw it and dropped the bag and added the rest of the wort. Then I topped off with water and shook it up.

When I took my hydrometer reading it was at about 1.032. It should of been around 1.074. After this I added the yeast and shook it up quite a bit more.

Does anybody think there may be a problem? I cannot see how the reading was so low. My best guess is alot of the wort was still in the bag so the sample I took was watered down. I am hoping the wort eventually just leaks out of the bag and combines with the rest of whats in the carboy. Or that the yeast is small enough to get through the bag.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2005, 10:47 PM   #2
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think you're right in that you took a watered down sample...10 lbs of DME would yield, as you said, 1.074.

You shouldn't have a problem, except maybe keeping the syphon going when you rack if the bag tries to get sucked in.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 10-15-2005, 11:53 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

The yeast will have no trouble getting into the bag and doing their trick. I tried several ways to filter wort and finally got a torpedo filter for inside the tun. Even that clogs once in a while.

Quick Reply