Priming with gyle and noticed something...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyrmwood

Reaction score
There is a layer of sediment in the jars of wort I saved back to prime with. I had always assumed the sediment was yeast with some hops, but evidently there's something rather substantial in there that settles out that sure ain't yeast (since this wort was saved back before I added yeast.)

The one on the left is from today, the other from a last weekend.
0522111330a.jpg

Looks like draff (waste grain) or protein to me. Little bits of endosperm and husk that carry over into the boil from the mash. Unless you're strictly extract, in which case I'm not sure.

cold/hot break. coagulated proteins. I did some gyle priming and poured the whole thing in, but in the future I would probably try to decant the clean wort off of the goo at the bottom because I got a lot of sediment in my bottles.

Looks like draff (waste grain) or protein to me. Little bits of endosperm and husk that carry over into the boil from the mash. Unless you're strictly extract, in which case I'm not sure.
Extract, but I do steep specialty grains, about 1 lb in each recipe.
cold/hot break. coagulated proteins. I did some gyle priming and poured the whole thing in, but in the future I would probably try to decant the clean wort off of the goo at the bottom because I got a lot of sediment in my bottles.
Yeah, it looks the same as the normal sediment, I just didn't expect to see it without yeast. I guess there's some draff from the steep?

EDIT: That was strange; this post popped up as if I'd written some 14 hours ago at the top of the thread...

Back